choosing a DIY ballast kit, saving money

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by nelsonbiederman, Jun 7, 2010.

1. I was gonna save some money and wire up a ballast from 1000bulbs.

I would like some help picking one. They have multiple options to choose from. How do I know which one to buy?

2. Hey Nelson, your gonna wanta get one thats an HPS, thi swill cover veg and bloom growth, you can get a 1000w Switchable? and build it, then definetly get a 1000w HID.:wave:

Of course it all depends on your temperature controll, and your grow room size!!

3. depends on your setup. if we had some info on the dimensions, temps, # of plants, what intake/exhaust u got, etc.

4. If you want to wire your own ballast, 1000 Bulbs has a 600W HPS for around $95 and a 1000W HPS for $120 or so. With shipping the 1000W HPS is probably about the same price that a local shop can sell you a BudgetGro II switchable 1K ballast for ($140+ tax at my local shop for the 1000W HPS/MH 120/240). If they try to charge you straight retail tell 'em to suck eggs and go to the next shop:) 1000bulbs.com has really cheap bulbs great for starting out for like $26 for a 1K!

There are some less expensive ballast kits out there for around $95 for a 1K HPS but they are hard to find.

5. As far as picking a ballast, I would get a "quad tap" if you live in the US, which will let you wire 120/207/240/277V instead of being stuck with just 120V or 240V. Dont get a 3 phase ballast either. 99.9% are not 3 phase, but just a warning. Sometimes people advertize used industrial ballasts for sale, but they dont run on household single phase without a stepdown transformer which is expensive.

I would also go with a 600W or 1000W (1K being my preference without a doubt).

An old heavy duty computer power cord works great for a power cord too.

To plug your socket in, you can get a replacement receptacle from sunlight or hydrofarm for $5.

With all the time and pieces added up its probably cheaper to go get a low end ballst at the grow store with the all important warranty:smoke:

6. IMO Go buy a new ballast and when it goes bad you can buy a kit and replace the parts one at a time and wire at the same time and know it was right.

Screwing with a kit and knowing nothing about elec or wireing can lead to fire, massive electrical burns or death.

I can take a HPS Ballast and add a $6.00 switch and turn it into a switchable HPS/MH Ballast.

If I give the keys to a car to someone who has never driven before, whats their chances of being in a wreck

Just my 2 cents

7. Yep, yep, if you doubt your wiring abilities don't even think about doing it.