Choice

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by bkadoctaj, Jul 6, 2009.

1. When is it not you making the choices? As far as I can tell, we're responsive self-aware entities. This means we respond and perceive the response process as making choices or taking action. When is a choice not our own? When do we do what we really don't want to, given whatever hand of cards we're dealt?

2. "I've" never made a choice in my life, my brain automatically made it for me based on the circumstances. Then my head computer tricked me into believing I had free will, for awhile anyway. But I figured the little bugger out.

3. Whose choice was that?

4. :p read up on determinism

5. No thanks. :p Must not be very important since it's not worth talking about.

6. I guess we all do act upon our own free will, however some decisions are 'forced' upon us... and If we do not do the right thing we end up in jail/dead....

I could pull up to a police station and shoot up the place, but I'd be killed and therefore the choice is somewhat made for me. I guess what I'm trying to say is that sometimes the circumstances outweigh the freedoms, often to the point that the decision is already 'made' for you.... kind of why laws work.

7. Yes, but who says you have to live? Isn't that a choice you affirmatively make every time you inhale and exhale?

8. Well this particular song sort of answers this question. One of my favorite songs of all time.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEQ14VnPBRw]YouTube - Bob Dylan - Simple Twist Of Fate[/ame]

9. Man, glad to see you're still alive and kicking shit. :D

Songs do provide a lot of insight, for sure.