Choice of cfls

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by Skerx101, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Hey guys, just built my pc growbox , (finally) and i have 3 sockets for cfls. Was just wondering what i should buy, and do i need different types for seedlings and then for vegetation? thanks guys.

2. Currently I'm on my second grow using only 2700K CFL lighting. My largest most healthy plant is about 6" tall and about a foot wide at day 25.

So if you are looking to save money I'd go with 3 2700K. Adding in a 5000k or 6500k to switch out 1 of the 2700k for veg seems to work very well too.

3. #3 Skerx101, Mar 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2013
    ill drop into my hydro store and have a look.
    EDIT~ so i rung them up and they tried to charge me $120 perlight. WTF???

4. Holy cow lol that is 20-30 times the normal price. Go to any hardware store, wal mart like stores will have them too just not as big of a selection.

A three pack of 23watt CFL should be between $8-12, but I'd go for around a 40-42 watt, they seem to be the most efficient in terms of lumen/watt and surface area of actual bulb compared to lumen output (their ratio of size compared to how much light they put out is the best) 40watt CFL are between 6-9$ a piece.

5. So i should go for 3 40w around 2700k and try to find one 5000k?
    Also do they come with wall socket plugs? or do i have to buy them seperate.

6. Its really up to you if you want to throw in a 5000k or 6500k, I have been more than happy without them so far. You can buy light bulb sockets adapters that can plug directly into a power surge protector, they are about 2-3$ a piece, can get a really cheap surge protector at most dollar stores.

Can throw together a three light power surge setup for less than 15$ with theses https://www.google.com/search?q=lig...gcartel.com%2Fproduct%2Flight-adapter;425;427

7. My power strip already has a surge protector on it. So i should be sweet?.. So you think ill be fine with 3 40watt 2700ks from seedlings until flower? Thanks for the help btw

8. My 40watt cfl put out 2600 lumens each, three of those would be plenty for one seedling, in fact that may be a bit overkill until it grows for a few days, I'd start with just one and work your way up from there as it grows. IMO the power strip/light strip is probably the cheapest way to get your lights to turn on.

But as the plant grows you are going to probably want to position the lights more evenly around the plant, what I did was I bought from a dollar store a 9 foot extension cord with three plug ins for $2.99 and with one of the light socket adapters can get a 40watt to stand straight up on end on a flat surface.

9. So wtf are the adapters called so you can plug the light into the power strip?

10. not exactly sure of the name, some sort of light bulb socket adapter straight to outlet idk lol, ive seen them at tons of different stores they are common to find

11. Couldn't find one at my department store, im from New zealand hopefully they sell them here.

12. I dont see why they wouldnt, maybe try a hardware store. they are so simple but amazing for keeping things compact in a tight grow area, literally just a plastic twist bottle cap wtih two forks sticking out the other end

13. Could you do me a massive favour? Look on our website Buy online and sell with NZ's #1 auction & classifieds site | Trade Me and could you see if they are on there? Thanks so much i appreciate it.

14. Lol you are having just as much trouble as I did when I was looking into these. Give me a min and ill go take a pic of mine to show you the set up.

15. You should be able to find some with three prongs instead somewhere haha

Attached Files:

16. Hey this is a stab in the dark too, but here in the US we have both 2 and 3 prong plug ins, the third is only a safety ground, it has no function under normal use. It could be possible that in your country it is required that all electrical plug ins/outlets have a ground. Since a light bulb does not have this in this simple adapter, it could be illegal.

17. yeah we can use 2 prong and 3 prong.