Chili recipies?

Discussion in 'The Great Indoors' started by blkarmphoenix, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Hey GC.

Just wonderin what you more kitchen friendly blades put in your chili? I made chili from scratch tonight and the wife looked at me like I was nuts when I added bacon, jalapenos, and corn.

So how bout it, any chili makin blades out there?

2. I love chili. I've tried a million different recipes and this one is hands down my favorite. I don't follow the measurements exactly (that's the great thing about chili)- and I usually add cilantro, red bell pepper and some habeneros for extra heat, but it's pretty good as is. The beer, coffee, brown sugar and cocoa powder give it a great sweet, smokey and slightly bitter flavor.

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    2 onions, chopped
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 pound ground beef
    3/4 pound beef sirloin, cubed
    1 (14.5 ounce) can peeled and diced
    tomatoes with juice
    1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle dark beer
    1 cup strong brewed coffee
    2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
    1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
    \t
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    3 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
    1 tablespoon cumin seeds
    1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
    powder
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon ground coriander
    1 teaspoon salt
    4 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans
    4 fresh hot chile peppers, seeded and
    chopped

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe-Tools/Print/Recipe.aspx?RecipeID=16276&origin=detail&&Servings=8

3. That recipe sounds great. I started putting bittersweet chocolate in my chili years ago. I like your recipe, especially using cubed and ground beef. I had a freezer full of cheap steaks I got as a gift a few years ago. I cooked a dozen steaks on the charcoal grill to get the smoky bbq flavor, then I removed the fat/grissle, diced it up to put into my chili. Wow...that smoky flavor was awesome in chili. I like your recipe with the dark beer (I do that too) but I'd never put sugar, even brown in chili. Have you ever made homemade corn tortillas from masa flower? OMG...they taste so much better than even the store bought corn tortillas. If you fry them, they're so crispy and sandy on the outside yet still tender inside....THey're like the French Bread of Mexico. delicious

4. I too liked the cubed beef + ground beef idea.

I'm telling you guys though, bacon. Nuff said lol.

5. ^ Absolutely bacon

I save my bacon fat for my batch. (even used it on stove top popcorn mmmmmm!)

Love Chili - - loosely shreaded chicken - white bean - sausage - garlic - onions - shallots + ??? :rolleyes:

topped with sour cream and slivered shallots
    served with golden brown pan fried honey butter cornbread

my neighbors love me.. sharing Is caring

6. I tend to put onions, sugar, mustard, garlic, and some brown sugar in mine... but that's just me. :)