chicken manure?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by masterdebater49, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Im sure the shock to the plants has caused some kind of stunting and stress

2. Hey jerry111165, I've noticed you on many threads organic. May I get the recipe also please

3. Just for clarification, Jerry is using composted chicken manure and not fresh or even aged manure. This is legitimately composted.

Using fresh or even dried chicken manure can cause a number of problems...

4. Is Jerry using Stutzman Farms or his own chicken shit?

RD

Not that product per se but one that is identical in his part of the country, i.e. legitimate composted chicken manure. Stutzman's is probably a western states' product. Makes an excellent worm bin feed stock if that's of interest to you.

Chickity is part of the name or something close to that. 

Chickity Doo Doo

I can't believe I just typed that :laughing:

7. ^^^  I might add that you can also find it at Menards.

8. I'm sorry but it's been an extremely busy summer/fall for me and I just noticed this. Might I ask which recipe you're referring to?

Sometimes it takes a PM to get my attention lately. Hope to slow down soon as the weather turns bad.

Let me know what you're looking for and I'll do my best to help.

J

9. I do use the bagged and pelletized composted pellets mostly for ease of use. The bedding from the chicken coop makes its way into the compost heaps several times a year but for cheap money I'll usually buy a sack or two of the Chickity Doo Doo brand or the Cheep Cheep product from North Country Organics. I think that they're all pretty similar.

Coot, I believe that you're correct - we don't see the Stutzmanns product here in the Northeast that I've seen, leading me to believe that it is a West Coast product.

I really like the pelletized chicken manure product. I've seen many gardeners thinking that it is a very high Nitrogen fertilizer but it's really a well balanced amendment that I've had excellent results with, and results is the bottom line.

TYPICAL ANALYSIS (for North Country Organics "Cheep Cheep")

Nitrogen\t 4.0%
    Iron\t 0.13%
    Phosphorus\t 3.0%
    Copper\t 0.07%
    Potassium\t 3.0%
    Calcium\t 3.0%
    Sulfur\t 0.76%
    Magnesium\t 0.50%
    Humus\t 10.0%
    Zinc\t 0.07%
    Organic Matter\t 60.0%
    Manganese\t 0.07%
    pH 6.5%

Microbe stimulation.

J

10. I just realized this is available in my area. Would love to hear more from others how they are using it...either as worm food or soil amendment.

Thanks

Solo

Solo

In the spring I top-dress the beds with kelp, neem and crab meals, cover with Stutzman's and cover all of that with vermicompost. About 2 or 3 weeks later I place the vegetable starter plants. Since this is compost and no longer chicken manure it will not burn your plants or cause any problems whatsoever.

For worm food I just open the bag and dump it straight into the bins. At $3.00 c.f. it's more than just a good deal. Since it ships from Canby, Oregon (about 15 miles south of PDX) it's available everywhere except grow stores of course. Every farm store, mainstream nursery, DIY stores, garden centers at Target, Walmart, etc. has it for sale. 

Doller for doller it's far better than the majority of bagged compost materials, IMHO. I've added a couple of cups to potting soil from time to time.

All things considered it's hard to beat out there in the general market place.

CC

12. "available everywhere except grow stores of course"

That's because it's so cheap and still very effective. I bet that one could make a fine soil mix with a sack of pro mix, a bag of Stutzmanns and some compost or vermicompost.

Maybe not totally the "very best", but I still bet it would grow great plants - cheap! The grow stores just wouldn't make the money that they are used to.

J

13. What a steal at 3 bucks a cu. ft.  I actually can get it at a local grow store...for 9.50 a cubic foot. I'm gonna have to check around a bit more. I seem to remember it being on sale for 5 bucks a bag. Is Stutzman's a product that Concentrates carries? I'm thinking the Ag store may carry it.

14. I just had to pay $15 for 25lbs :( So far it's the only place I've found that carries it. A little expensive for worm feed compared to compost but I'm looking forward to working it into my soils and trying some teas. I did a search earlier on here and read a lot of good things and I'm always looking for a little diversity.

Solo

15. Still haven't seen it in my area. I ask and just get blank stares. Even at places that carry it in other parts of the country, like Lowes.

The search goes on.

Wet

16. Too bad you don't have a local Menards in your area. They are similar to a Lowes or home Depot. I got a 25 pound bag of it there for like $8. It's cheap, I probably got it a couple of years ago and still have a little bit of it left.

17. This is an honest question Im not trying to be a smart ass...have you tried the retail locator on their site? Thats where i found the place where I got it. I had never even heard of the place. Its a fruit market but they have a little garden section and they had pallets of this shit (lol) sitting outside. I emailed them also and they responded but didnt even mention this place???? I've found several other products recently just by using their sites, most places I never knew existed. but unfortunately with the time of year most stuff is sold out and won't be restocked until spring.

Solo