Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Chest tightness after smoking

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by RatedRKO16, Feb 26, 2016.

1. The muscles in my chest seem to tighten up when I smoke. Most the time it doesn't do anything, but other times it gets pretty bad. Is there a way to lessen the chance of this happening?

2. You should probably stop smoking

3. Yeah. Right.

4. I'll add I've been to the doctor and was told I'm fine. Only thing I can think of is elevated blood pressure after smoking.

5. do you suffer from anxiety?

6. I do. I have generalized and social anxiety (even worse). And I just quit taking the med I was taking for that a couple months ago.

It's weird though. The anxiety isn't in my brain AT ALL when I'm high. That's why I'm not 100% sure that's it... but it could be...

My other thought is that the tightness is there when I'm not high, but when I am I just am more aware of it?

7. Wow I suffer from both too. Are you in a legal state? I use cannabis to treat both of my anxiety disorders, but sometimes sativas can bring out my anxiety/panic attacks. It sometimes makes me more aware of my body which sometimes freaks me out if I think too much about it.

8. #8 RatedRKO16, Feb 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2016
    Unfortunately I do not live in a legal state. I think I'm going to buy a vaporizer and see if that helps. I can't really make edibles because I live in an apartment complex. I use a bubbler and it seems to help (the tightness) more than my pipe, although that's marginal and could be mostly in my head as well.

9. That's a good idea, vaporizers provide a lighter high which helped me when I first started. Also try to get your hands on some indica or indica dominant.. I made a quick video to help people in illegal states tell the difference just by looking at the buds. Good luck man.

10. This is your body reacting to smoking weed. Your choice is to get over it, or stop smoking weed. When you smoke anything, things change in your body. A part of what's happening is that the oxygen level in your blood is decreasing, and that's likely what's causing the initial feeling in the chest. Some people feel it in their shoulders/upper arms. Some feel it in their chests. If your doctor says you aren't going to die from it and you don't feel like you're going to die from it, then get used to it if you want to smoke. It may go away one day, it may not.

11. To address the anxiety thing.. being that you don't live in a legal state, you could look into CBD (Cannabidiol), which is legal in all 50 states and has been shown to help with anxiety

Case Studies on CBD for Treating Anxiety

12. Try smoking a little less. My best advice is to switch strains, as it sounds like you have a sativa. Try looking out for more CBD rich strains--namely OG's or Kush.