Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Chemotherapy/Radiation/Feeding Tube

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by g51782, Aug 26, 2010.

1. A friend of mine will be starting chemotherapy and radiation treatments in about a week, and had jokingly asked about needing some medical marijuana(even though he has only ever hit a joint maybe one time in his entire life).

Now I have the ability to provide him with some type of mmj as an alternative to whatever crazy prescription medications he will be put on throughout the whole ordeal, but as he recently had surgery in his throat/mouth within the past month(which required a trach in his throat, which has been removed and a feeding tube in his stomach, which is still in place) smoking is an absolute no way in hell delivery system for said mmj.

Anybody have any suggestions for the best method for his consumption? I have considered making a batch of hash to mix into his liquified food in the feeding tube, but am unsure of dosage for something like that, or possibly making some of those thc caplets that I believe there is a tutorial somewhere on GC for. Also just stumbled across Wild Bills glycerin tincture, but once again due to the mouth/throat surgery, not sure of the likelyhood of this method either.

Any suggestions or ideas, or anyone with any previous experience with dealing with chemo/radiation and using mmj to help are welcomed, especially if anyone has experience with trachs/feeding tubes, thanks

2. You could easily put tincture in any liquid sustenance, as you control the strength of the tincture, you can monitor the dosage.

However, if he's a neophyte to the herb, you may wish to let him come to you, instead of vice-versa.

3. haha i just realized i referred to you as wild bill in my previous post, my baaaad lol

but i am pretty sure he was only half joking, half serious, he's already on tons of prescriptions and i believe if it wasn't for having/keeping a job i very well could convert him to mmj and get him off of those, of course i have a strong belief in the mj so i may be a bit biased

and i mean it's not that i would spike his food or anything of the sort, but i have seen chemo/radiation before and it is not very nice to the body, i just want to have the option on hand and available to him if the need should arise

being that he has had basically no previous experience with mj, whatever i choose to create will be tested on me and a few friends to get a good judgment of the strength before i even give it to his caretaker

i will also be using high quality bud or trimmings, as that is what i will have on hand(i know most people consider this a waste, but as i said before smoking is not an option) that is why i was considering making hash, would it be possible to make a batch of hash and just mix it with the glycerin and simmer and get the same effect? i also wonder if it would be more beneficial for him to ingest it so as to get more of the body buzz that is usually associated with edibles vs smoking

or would you say this tongue drop thing has similar effects to that of ingesting edibles?

you say you used about 8 grams of your "vapor poo" if im not mistaken for an entire 16oz bottle, if i were to make hash with atleast that many grams of trimmings of high quality would it be safe to assume i could use the same amount of glycerin just mixed with whatever hash i yield?

the strain is white widow, if that has any relevance to the issue

4. I don't have much on Radiation Induced Nausea-

A double-blind randomised cross-over comparison of nabilone and metoclopramide in the control of radiation-induced nausea. (abst - 1987)
    http://www.cannabis-med.org/studies/ww_en_db_study_show.php?s_id=130

Receptor mechanism and antiemetic activity of structurally-diverse cannabinoids against radiation-induced emesis in the least shrew. (full - 2007)
    Receptor mechanism and antiemetic activity of structurally diverse cannabinoids against radiation-induced emesis in the Least shrew

(emesis = vomiting)

...but I do have a fair-sized section on Chemotherapy- way too big to post up here! See my sig? Click the first link and scroll down to Chemotherapy. There are also sections on Methods of Use, Nausea and several types of cancers that may be helpful.

Granny :wave:

5. It's Okay, I get that a lot. ;-)

Sure, you could use hash to make the tincture, no problem, however, it will be commensurately stronger. My "poo" mixtures are not as strong as you'd think, using hash and trim would make yours much, much stronger.

The thing about tinctures that differs from the edible is that the tincture goes into your bloodstream MUCH quicker than an edible, so the onset of pain relief is much quicker. Also the effects don't last quite as long either, simply because the stomach isn't breaking down anything.

As for the quantity, 16 oz of glycerin is a great amount to use since it fits nicely in a small crockpot, if you used 8 grams of hash to 16 oz of glycerin you're going to get a very, very strong mix. What I'd do for my first batch is try maybe 1 gram of hash and as much trim as you want. That way you can always make it stronger. I've made tinctures with much more poo and also included shake and small amounts of hash and the strength level is elevated accordingly.

6. thanks for all the links storm crow

and will, i wasn't necessarily going to use 8 grams of straight hash, as i realize that would be quite a potent formula, probably stronger than even i would want to consume ha. i meant using 8 grams or so of the trim, and whatever hash i could yield from that going into the crockpot and simmering just to get the hash evenly distributed through the glycerin

my theory is, if i just use the hash from 8 grams of trimmings, then i get the same amount of thc mixed in as if i just threw those 8grams in and simmered, minus all the greenish brownish plantness associated with the usual process(ive made brownies before, and it still had that plant taste, i am also going to try the hash method into brownies to see if it helps any as well)

thanks for the input, it is much appreciated, one last thing about the under the tongue tincture, he had surgery on his tongue as well, it's healing well and he even has the ability to talk again albeit with a slight impediment, do you think the glycerin will have any effect on his tongue, like say stinging or anything of that nature?

7. I don't think he'll have any problems with the glycerin, it's a sweet tasting liquid, now if you use alcohol based tinctures, that could be a huge problem