Cheapest but still effective light?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by bb55, Nov 7, 2006.

1. What is the most inexpensive light but still does a quality jobs to grow an MJ plant?

Also how much smell do i have to worry about?

Thanks

2. Well, that'd have to be a CFL. I believe you can get decent 54w ones for a couple of bucks. You'd want around one per plant, that's a decent ratio.

As for smell... once they reach into the flowering period... smell will be unavoidable. Cover with incense, a plate of vinegar, plenty of ventilation or making a home made carbon scrubber (assuming you can't afford one.)

3. Yes, CFL's are the way to go... Watch out for lights of america brand, my CFL was dead after 48 hours... GO TO THE HOME DEPOT ANF CHECK OUT THERE FLOOD-LIGHTS, THIS IS WHERE TO GET A GOOD CFL!

4. Realistically, Fluorescent lighting is the cheapest way to go. Use the search function for my thread entitled ''The Definitive Lighting Guide'' for some more lighting tips. Over here, I could start a full 2 to 3 plat grow that would provide me with upwards of 4 oz. of weed for less than US$100 [Bulbs taking up most of that price, at ~$18 each for 2 or 3 x 49 watt compact fluros]. That soil, pots, fertiliser, bulbs and connections - everything, for under US$100. Good luck and god-speed!

5. Yeah, get a couple good CFL's for on top of the plants and I'd use a couple 4' flourescent tubes with red and blue bulbs on the sides of the plants. CFL's don't penetrate like hps or mh so the tubes on the sides will really help the lower leaves.

6. Bump. Anyone?

7. What I hate about ballasted lights are they are expensive and get very hot. They recquire lots of electricity to run so it shows up on the bill. I think growing with 5 or more CFLs are the best way to go...

8. Check out the link in my signature for a guide I wrote on CFL's.

9. I started out with two 4 foot fluro lights (4 bulbs) suspended from the ceiling by chains over a table. The bulbs were two cool and two warm bulbs. I chose those from a video i saw online my Mr Green.. he veged the whole way using hydro using these 40 watt bulbs. He had a HPS in another area for flowering.
    I have since purchased a 400 w combo light for my closet with both a MH bulb and a HPS bulb. I am using the MH now for veg but when i take clones I will use the fluros for the clones in another room until my closet is freed up.
    the only reason i dont go with CFL is additional fixtures i would need. I had already purchased the shop lights. Also more lights, more plugs. I realize its cheaper to go CFL but i am sick of buying lights. I dont want multiple plugs (4 fixtures) because i was worried about circuit overload.
    Lots of people grow with fluros and some are impressive. I just made the leap to HP lights because i am greedy and want a good harvest.
    HTG is a good place.. those were the cheapest i could find, shipped quickly and they have combo packages.. I think my setup for balast, fixture, hood and two bulbs was 180,.00

10. You can do a phased purchasing approach for your lights. Start with the flors. that gives you about 2 months to save for an HPS or LEDs( I dare you) while seeds mature. But as you know money will grow on tress if planted and grown correctly. Then after a few grows you will be able to max out your grow space with a little capital reinvestment of profits made from spreading the love of gooooood herbs. Good luck and just DO IT! Ah ha.