Cheap legit versions of Win 7

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by philan, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Anyone know a legit place to purchase cheap Win 7 ultimate editions? No piracy stuff please.

Thank ya

2. Students can get it for pretty cheap. I got mine for free actually because I'm in the technology department.

3. I assume msdn aa, you can only get 1 license?

4. Yeah you can get a lot of software for free if you take any kind of computer science classes.

5. Yeah I've been out of college for awhile now, I just didn't want to pay full price :)
    Bummer

6. go on tigerdirect.com and find the OEM cd, probably the cheepest legit way

7. yea find a student i got xp for $7 back in the daaayyay

8. Gotta love a windows 7 activator. :)

9. #10 k_semler, Feb 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2010

10. cheaper

11. That's for WinXP, and Windows Server Home Edition at that price. WinXP Pro OEM start out at $139.95.

12. #14 Outdo0rMaster, Feb 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2010
  13. they have 64 bit too...

but just fyi there are more program computability errors with a 64 bit OS

14. *but I wont use vista
    *cant got full performance with 32bit

whats my option ?

15. 64 is pretty unstable
    and i have never noticed a difference between 32 and 64 even while playing games

16. have a lot of rendering and must got opened 3-4 programs + winamp + couple web pages

cant do that with using only 2gb ram at 32bit
    Its pretty annoying when you have serious job to do
    I was on vista but its full of holes and wont allows me this software than that then cant recognize camera etc etc

and one more thing of what Im concerned if I buy Win 7 OEM

OEM software is also
    tied to the motherboard it is first installed on. Unlike the retail versions of Windows which can be transferred to a new computer, OEM versions are not transferable. What about upgrading hardware? Microsoft says that anything is fair game, except the motherboard. Replacing the motherboard in a computer results in a "new personal computer," which the company considers to be synonymous with a transfer. It's not permitted with an OEM edition of Windows.

Also, while retail versions of Vista include both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows, OEM versions are specific. You get one or the other. This follows from the per device restriction. The end result is that OEM versions may not be that attractive to users who frequently build new computers from the ground up.

17. i got vista ultimate OEM from that site when vista first came out, i have upgraded my motherboard since then and the cd key still works.

i have 32 bit windows 7 pro
    it runs winamp, crysis, 5+web pages, photoshop cs4 all at the same time no problem( i just tried this)

18. your are gonna do what your donna do im just telling you my experience (i have amd athlonx2 6000 with 1gb onboard cache and 2gb ddr2 i dont remember the freq. but its older so nothing special)