Cheap Joint Roller

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by LetItBe, Aug 19, 2009.

1. I bought a cheap gas station joint roller yesterday but all three joints I've made have terrible airflow. They're so tight that I can't get any smoke out of them. Any solutions?

2. Roll your own

3. I have absolutely no ability in that department.

4. id say your best bet is to grind the weed or make it as fine and as dried as possible or if you dont mind tobacco add a lil tobacco and it should help it burn better

5. Dude its so easy to do, just buy and eighth and roll them all into joints. That could be like 10 joints and by then you will be skilled. It just takes a bit of practice. Look up some videos and actually learn the technique. Or use your own, whatever works really.

6. #6 pinball wizard, Aug 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2009
    Ok, I have multipule solutions for you.

Solution one: Put less weed in the machine. When I've used one for cigs, I rolled about 10 before I could actully SMOKE one, because I always filled the roller, not taking into account how much it would be compacted. The joint should be just firm enough to stay together and hold a good shape, and then just a tad firmer.

Solution two: Learn to roll. I have been smoking weed for 4 years now, and it's only this summer I learned to roll a proper joint every time. I spent a very long time (about 3 years) rolling cones, and then filling the loose space i always left with a pencil as a packing device. This is slow, but acceptable.

What I learned over 4 years that the rolling tutorials DON'T tell you:

Start with dry hands. If you're sweaty, your joints will come out like shit. also don't roll with wet hair that will drip, or in an overly humid environment, if you can avoid it.

Take your sweet ass time. it's very important that the bud is in the right shape, or it will come out like shit. Even more important is taking your time when you actully roll and stick it. If it rolls wrong, unroll and do it again. Once you get the weed in the paper, if it takes you 5 minutes to shape it, that's fine. if it takes another couple to roll it, that's cool, better than having a shitty joint.

When you get to the point of sticking your joint, at first, it's ok to stick it a little bit at a time, starting either in the middle or at one end. This will mean your joint can be ever so slightly tapered at each end (It's an aquired taste, just like a cone... you may like it that way, and you may not)

When you come to that joint killing point where you must start the actual roll, and the edge of the paper must cross the other edge, you may want to hold your thumbs or first fingers over the edge being covered by the other edge, and FOLD, not roll, very carefully and slowly. Then when you have got it in the right shape, but a bit loose, you take up the slack with the rest of the paper. It's ok if there are creases in the paper, as long as the OUTSIDe is smoth, because the outside surface is all that's truly structural, the inner layers are just there to help you on your way to the outside cylander. Knowing this, if you buy very wide (not long, wide) papers, such as the aptly named EZ-widers, you will have a lot more to work with, and a lot more of those layers in wich to tighten your joint. Once you've gone thru a pack of wide papers like that, buy a pack of zig-zags or other slimmer papers, and master those.

If you want a perfect cigarette shaped joint, start out with the weed densest at each end, with none or almost none in the middle, and roll over a tray to catch what falls out the ends.

You may want to start with tobacco. Buy a few packs of Drum or Bali Shag if you smoke, or a few packs of bugler if you're just going to throw it away, and sit down and roll that shit up till you can make it look good every time. it's not the same technique, due to the amount of give that shag tobacco has, but it's much more forgiving because of how squishy it is.

For some people like me, it's fucking HARD, for some, you get it on the first roll. One last thing that will affect it is how you touch it. I was always too rough or gentle when I was first rolling, there's a sweet spot. I think this depends how you are with your hands. i'm fine with accuracy, I'm good with things such as wood carving, carpentry, metalwork, stone work, but it takes practice to know how to handle thin paper with weed inside it. Just like loading a bowl, you just have to learn by doing it, in the end.

Hopefully you now know how to roll a joint, and hopefully I find something else more entertaining to do.

7. dont use so much weed in the rollers so there a little bit looser but thats all i can come up wit

sorry if people already posted that haha

8. It isnt the amount of weed that you are using so much as how you are using the roller. I used to have the same problem, after you put the weed in the machine roll it around once, then put the paper in and roll it once. If you roll it a few times on each step it gets way too tight.

9. Practice makes progress... Buy a pack tops and roll up the tobacco(or a pack of cigars). This will help you learn and you won't get frustrated wasting weed since it's just for practice.. After you've done a few and feel comfortable then whip the cannabis out and roll yourself a fatty :smoking::smoking:

10. Some nice instructions in hurr.

11. dont use so much weed, i have a $5 and its pretty sick but in my opinion they roll to good. Its like smoking a cig which i am not a fan of, but id rather roll a cone than use the machine. hope it helps, and grind ur stuff, use the magic bullet, grinds very well.

12. with my roller, i find that its not the amount of weed, but how many times you roll it around when its done. i only go around once and it works fine. dont worry, i can roll my own joints, but with a roller they look like cigs, and you can smoke them anywhere. great investment if you like joints.