Cheap homemade vaporizer: is my design good?

Discussion in 'Vaporizers' started by rustydastoner, Jan 17, 2014.

1. It's a pretty basic design. I used a thimble instead of foil, for health reasons. Basically, you load the thimble with ground herb. I did some grinding and machining to the thimble so it will screw into the bowl top (my bowl is threaded for the screw on cap), and so there is a little gap around the inside of the bowl and the thimble for airflow. The bowl stem is screwed into a drilled hole, in a 2x4 I cut, (the wood does not get hot enough to burn or anything), upside down so the thimble is directly above the lighter, which is redneck chromed (duct tape for those less redneck, haha) to the 2x4. The hole in which the bowl stem screws into is drilled all the way to another bigger hole, perfect size for a bottle to screw snuggly into,which then is taped to seal. I then punched two holes into the bottle, for a carb and for a mouth piece (pen tube, made it cheap man, haha). So basically, just flick the bic, get the thimble hot, boiling the herb, while gently sucking in. Assuming that my design is air tight, which it seems to be, it should work pretty decent. Won't know til Saturday though. What do you guys think? Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

2. Just stick to smoking will you?

3. No. Haha. Innovative. Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. cough cough..you win one OP

[​IMG]

5. Haha. I thought soSent from my Galaxy Nexus using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. What dafuq? WHo the hell is OP? Hacksaw Jim Duggan?

[​IMG]

7. Coulda just done this OP, much less ummm,  Rube Goldeberg-ish...lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmixODIvAtM

8. well its pretty obvious OP is not much of a DIY'ER.
    hope you enjoy life, because its gonna be a short one.

9. Ever look up what temperatures you need to vaporize? It's not as easy as just sticking a lighter underneath a thimble.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Pretty good, in which jail are you locked?

11. #11 Strollin'crow, Mar 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2014
    that's quite a thing you made though. check plus for effort

as to the question of if your design is good, that's a definitive no.

foil and adhesives and tin and you'll be much brighter later if you bury that fucker

12. this is not even a "vaporizer" in order to be a vaporizer, you need at least a torch lighter lol

13. Dude...wtf?

knives heated dull red
    release sweet smoky nectar
    I am lifted high

14. Bro, just stop. That's all bad.

Sent from my island getaway.

15. Ignore the haters man, I think it looks pretty cool for a DIY. It's functionality probably leaves much to be desired, but you had to start somewhere.

Make another one, but next time improve upon this design. Scientific method my friend.

16. Naw I'll just use my pen or my mflb

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

17. Lol that's some trippy shit.
    I give u props

Just Buy a wip box vape instead! ;)

18. I don't understand all the hate. This is way more damn creative than anything I can come up with.

Damn

19. Lol "it's a pretty basic design" he says

You know that it would be untrue, you know that I would be a liar, if I was to say to you, girl we couldn't get much higher

20. #20 bandyt, Mar 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2014
    I'm not hating, interesting design. This is coming from someone that made a vaporizer myself (soldering iron and glass jar conduction vape), and I'm working on a second design (actually looking into getting it patented), so I could probably give you a few pointers.

First, if that's a copper pipe then you'll be sucking on fumes produced by heated copper, that's not good. Consider what your vapor is actually traveling through: steel thimble, copper pipe, hole in wood, plastic bottle, plastic/rubber pen, chrome plated pen point. A good design would eliminate as much of this extra transfer as possible, because there are way too many areas for impurities to get in and ruin the smoke.

Second, air flow. You're sucking through a tiny hole, and there's a gap at the top of the thimble? I'm thinking holes in the thimble itself would give a better airflow through the material itself. But if you do put holes in the thimble you're much more likely to be burning your weed than vaping.

Which brings me to third, the lighter. You strapped the lighter to a piece of wood with duct tape. Lol this just looks like a recipe for disaster! This is something a lot of trial and error will let you know the flame timing and distance to get that optimum temperature. I wish you the best of luck using that thing and not burning yourself.

It looks like you haven't tested it when you took this pic. I'm curious what kind of results you got from using it. But dude, any innovation, even failure, gets respect from me. So kudos on the post