Cheap CO2 Alternative?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by starcecil, Jan 30, 2010.

1. I was reading that having more C02 in the air while the lights are on can help speed up growth of the MJ plant. Im not quite ready to invest in tanks with time release valves due to this being my first time and the space and time I have to grow is limited due to moving out Jul 1

So I got to thinking, could I get a big bowl, throw in some dry ice and water and just let it bubble away? It will be in a closet that is closed, but air can leak out from where the two doors come together, or the sides I suppose.

Would this work though? Thanks in advance XD

2. I feel that your best bet is to grow w/o CO2 but save up while you're growing then get either a tank system or a generator. Most folk shoot for 1500ppm sustained during flower, it takes a considerable amount of gas volume to reach that number. If you let loose with a couple chunks of dry ice you won't know what your ppms are or when they are.

3. Seriously, don't bother with homebrew CO2, it just can't get the concentration high enough to matter. Your money and time are *far* better spent improving just about any other part of your grow.

If you can't do proper CO2 enrichment, just make sure you have really good ventilation.

4. Although my suggested method may not be the best do you think it would still be worth a shot? Would it harm anything if failed?

5. only thing that it could hurt is maybe too high of a concentration but it should dissipate long before any damage has a chance to take hold. id just make sure you get plenty of air circulating and not invest in co2 at all if you cant get a legit set up

6. Well, no.

Thing is, the CO2 has to get to a certain level before it really helps the plants. Most of the homebrew methods don't even have the ability to get it that high, much less keep it there.

It won't hurt anything, it's just that your time would be better spent doing something that will improve your plants conditions.