Cheap bulk soil?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by whiteb0inewb, May 23, 2012.

1. So I've been using royal gold basement mix for a little while now moved on from fox farm ocean forest. Its getting a little expensive to keep buying a few bags of 1.5 cu ft of it for 26$ is there any cheaper alternative? Something I can buy at a Lowes or home depot or something that is something like rg?

2. I've heard good things about "kelloggs patio plus" soil. Ph balanced, organic nutrients (manure, worm casting, etc) and perlite all mixed in. Basically people have compared it to a cheaper FFOF. I got a 1.5cf bag at OSH for $7. If your in the US I think its worth checking out. I'm about to start my first grow with this soil so I'm hoping what I've read is correct lol

3. kellogs soil works great ive been using it since I started

4. I'll have to check it out. I've been using a coco coir based medium with no nutes mixed in. But going back to pre mixed medium might save me a few bucks. I'll have a look around, don't think I've seen any at home depot last time I was there

5. Kellogs was horrible! It's holds onto water a long time, It seemed like it's mostly wood chips, and I had a big issue with nats from the soil.

6. I believe there a few versions of the Kelloggs. I thought about buying it at HD, but ended up with supersoil.
    If I used the Kelloggs I would add penlite to it as with any pre-made soil

7. I'm thinking of mixing my own up with coco coir perlite and some worm castings. It will probably turn out cheaper then the basement mix or any soil in bulk from HD or the hydro store