Cheap and easy hydro suggestions

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by texasaggie, Sep 19, 2012.

1. I'm getting back to growing my own after having had to stop for a while and want to change a few things for better results hopefully. I used to use a home-made DWC setup (made of walmart plastic bins and fish tank supplies lol) with fair results, but the maintenance was awful and messy. Basically I'm looking for an easy to maintain and preferably cheap hydro setup. I'm not set on using DWC again, but wouldn't be opposed either. I have access to extensive tools and machinery so a DIY solution would be preferred. My grow space is about 5' x 5' but since the grow will be only for me (and a few lucky friends) I don't need to utilize the entire space. I would say 2-4 plants flowering at a time would be ideal. This leads me to another question: What's the best way to clone and let the plants grow vegetatively? I used to use a DIY bubbleponics-type cloner with great results, but didn't really have a good place to get the plants growing before flowering. Any advice or discussion is welcome.

2. Awesome, that looks like a great option for flowering at least. Thanks for the info.

3. If you want the cheapest, easiest, most simple, and effective hydroponic grow method, I'd highly suggest that you get started making Hempy buckets! It's simply a bucket with a little hole drilled about 2" up from the bottom. Fill that sucker with perlite, and drop your plant right in. You can feed manually, like a soil grow. Or you may choose to automate your feedings by rigging up a fish tank pump and drip lines.

Hempy buckets are fantastic. I use a modified version, called Dutch Pots, or Bato Buckets. Mine are essentially the same thing. My plants grow in straight perlite.

If you'd like a simplified nutrient program, which compliments Hempy buckets quite nicely, I would suggest checking out the Lucas method. I have a link in my signature, where you can read all about it, but essentially, it's a one bottle nutrient plan that really works. It's so hard to go wrong with this combination of growing techniques. It's so easy, and works so well that it's the main method I suggest in the book I'm writing about growing hydroponically.

Recirculating buckets work great! I have an old link to a grow in my signature which used a modified version of recirculating DWC, and it works fantastic. The downside is if you can't keep the water at about 68-70 degrees, you're gonna have some trouble. Additionally, you're dealing with a lot of nutrients, and filling and draining your system, not to mention leaks. I think it's a great method, but might be better suited to try after a couple Hempy grows.

Also, coco coir is a great method to use, also. It can work in a Hempy bucket, too. But you can use any type of planter/pot with coco. The one thing to keep in mind about coco is that you'll need to supplement with cal/mag, as some of the essential nutrients will bond with the coco, making these nutrients unavailable to the plant. You'll just have to re-saturate the medium with the extra nutes, so the plant can uptake them.

Welcome back to growing! It's an exciting time with so many great ways to grow. I think you'll have fun!

4. Hey Tex, welcome to GC & back to growing. GWAM and OP nailed it with cheap & easy options. The RDWC option is a simple option, if you use good grommets you should be OK. And hempy buckets are the picture of simplicity. So, that leaves cloning and veg-ing.
    For cloning, I'm partial to the bubble cloner for its simplicity. I use it with rapid rooter plugs for cloning & works excellent. I just put my air pump on a timer so the rooter plugs do not stay over-saturated. When they root, I put the pump on continuously until I transplant.
    There is at least one aerocloner build thread in the DIY section here that many swear by, but I've not tried it.

Veg-ing before flowering, you have options. The easiest is to veg in your permanent grow area by using a cool spectrum light, then switch to a warm spectrum when you drop to 12/12 lighting.

Not sure what type of light you'll be using?
    If HID, then buy a high pressure sodium ballast & bulb for blooming, and a metal halide conversion bulb for veg-ing.
    If using T-5 or CFL, then look for cool spectrum (around 6500 kelvin) to veg and warm spectrum (around 2900) to bloom.

A more complex option - if you're impatient, and you want the ability to start your next strain in veg while your last strain is finishing, a separate veg area is required. You might get creative in your 5X5 area and pull it off with some light tight partitioning or small separate tents. The possibilities can be mind boggling.
    For a great all around system, hard to beat a 400W HID system with MH & HPS bulbs. I'd recommend a 3X3 footprint for that; which can easily support 4 to 9 plants. Use the other 2' for your clones / mothers, and with a shelf, possibly veg-ing (clones on top).

This should get you thinking & figuring what works best for your space. Bestaluck to ya.