cheap activated charcoal?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by al3k5, Dec 7, 2011.

1. So I need some activated charcoal pretty soon here, but don't know where to get it cheap. I know walmart has it for 7$, not sure on the amount. Is this the best deal, as I need quite a bit of it I think.

2. Prob. You trying to make your own filter?

3. That's about as cheap as you're going to find it. I buy mine from Petco for a little bit more (saves me a drive across town though so it's worth it to me). $7 is pretty cheap. Only place cheaper would be online/bulk if you need "quite a bit"

4. I went to pet smart tonight and they had 22ounces for 13 dollars after tax

5. [quote name='"todderfran"']Prob. You trying to make your own filter?[/QUOTE]

Yes I have an intake/exhaust system on my new growing cabinet, heard the stuff only last 2 weeks? So I figured id need a bit more. Project is in my sig if you're interested, should be done in the next day or so, though I have said that many times haha!

6. homemade carbon filter do work but u might need a few

7. Weather or not u need to refill it every two week or not I can't really say being that I have yet to finish mine let alone run them but I have heard that too.... With that being said they are relatively cheap to make and there are numerous DIY threads on how to make them using random shit like coffee cans paint cans and other crazy stuff you have around the house, and realistically you can make them out of just about anything, the most expensive part is the carbon WHICH CAN BE REUSED yes it's true you can reprocess your carbon and make it good as new just in time to switch out the old one..... If you have to make two of them so you can alternate them every two weeks thats fine, your still gonna save money instead of spending 150+ on a fan filter system online which most of the time dont work for shit....might take more time but were all clearly lookin to save since we're talking about making our own filters lol

8. I disagree with the cheapos. Designing a carbon filter to provide enough filtering while keeping flow rates up and back pressure down is not that easy. Things like the carbon particle size can be very important. Without any engineering principles to go on, you are guessing as to whether your particles are workable in terms of size and porosity, whether you've got enough of them, and whether you have spread them over a broad enough area to get the flow rate you need with the fan you've got. Good luck. You can probably get something to work to some degree for some time, but its probably going to be a half-assed piece of shit because you don't know what you're doing and the people advising you don't know what they are doing either. Let that be a preemptive strike against the flames I'll probably draw.

I built one, then I bought one. There is no comparison. The commercial product is far superior. They cost a lot, but they work great and last a long time to make up for it.

I've got my grow room tied into the same heating and air conditioning system that regulates the air throughout my house. Its all mixed together and you'd never know. Because my filter and fan provide tons of capacity, I can circulate tons of temperature controlled air through my grow room. From what I've gathered reading, high fresh air circulation means there is little to be gained from CO2. In other words, the $150-200 you spend on a duct fan and a good carbon filter that allows you a high fresh air flow rate will give you much, perhaps all, the benefit you'd get from a CO2 system.

Most importantly, this is a security issue. Carbon filter <<< lawyer.

9. activated carbon is used in aquariums all the time for the same reason removing odors good thing its easy to get

10. The shit in the 200dollar systems is the same stuff you can get at petsmart and do it yourself for like a tenth of the price

11. All solunds good, but I don't have lots to spend now, not that I don't want to, I just don't have it now...its kind of why I'm growing lol. Ill post pics of what I'm working with in my system, but I do have 2 sets of filters, one design which I found on here, another that I created to work with my cabinet.

12. perfect your gonna be fine bro..... dont listen to all these assholes who tell you to buy that shit, they usually have some sort of stake in that..... if the diy filters didnt work the 40 thousand or so odd people wouldnt have look at how to make one lol

13. [quote name='"jerseygiant"']perfect your gonna be fine bro..... dont listen to all these assholes who tell you to buy that shit, they usually have some sort of stake in that..... if the diy filters didnt work the 40 thousand or so odd people wouldnt have look at how to make one lol[/quote]

Haha right on man! ill keep ya posted if you want.

14. Absolutely! I made my filters last night and threw them on today

15. i made my own carbon filter with a guide here on grasscity. It has worked great and i use both the carbon from pet smart and walmart together in the same filter. The guy on here that taught me to make it didnt say anything about having to switch carbon untill after like 6 months the filter as worked great so far and my plant is a really stinky strain. A commercial one would likely be better but honestly so far ive had no problems with my own!.

16. No need for name-calling, everyone is entitled to an opinion and an opportunity to express their individual experiences.

A homemade carbon filter can be problematic, but if you build it out right it definitely can work just as well as a "bought" one. Is $7 a good price for carbon? Well, how much carbon does that get you? I don't know how anyone can answer the first question without the answer to the second...