Chat Threads

Discussion in 'General Forum Feedback' started by oldskoolgrower, Feb 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. #1 oldskoolgrower, Feb 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2011
    So...the 'Grower's Coffee Lounge' got closed because it was a 'chat thread' (even though it also contained a lot of talk about growing).

If the stance of GC is to not allow any chat threads, even one as well moderated and without rules violations as the Coffee Lounge, why is it that one is allowed with NO real direction or purpose in Nirvana? Even the VIP section doesn't get any special breaks from the rules. If the secret is paying I'll gladly send $100 if growers can have their own 'chat thread' (it was more than that) back in the open sections.

If the stance of GC is 'the rules are the rules' and if there are not supposed to be double standards, then paying members shouldn't get a random chat thread either.

End of my ten cents.

Love to you all,
    OSG

EDIT: Disclaimer - Yes I am a paid member. I deliberately stay away from the thread in question except for rare postings exactly because it is not fair to have it there when others can't do the same. As long as no other rules are being violated and a thread is well moderated (such as the Coffee Lounge) there is no compelling reason that bears the scrutiny of logic to forbid it.

Those who know me know how much I support the rules here and the enforcement of such, but enough is sometimes enough.

2. Your 10 cents is more valuable then $100 TO ME;):smoke:

3. I Closed it OSG as it was Brought up and Used as an Example....So too Some it was a Chat Thread....so Closing it seemed the Best Thing to Do....So Waiting For The HIGHer Uppers to Look at it and Decide for themselves.

I'm Closing This OSG.....Hope it's Cool!!!!

4. i understand the whole chat thread thing.. and i repect the rule.

but if a 6 year old thread is gonna get closed, then the "good morning" thread, and [many other stickied "chat' threads in the other forums should go as well...

just my humble opinion.

5. I Agree....and Know That I am Lost!!!!

6. #6 ImTheJoker4u2, Feb 6, 2011
    Isn't every thread a "chat" thread? We're all "chatting" about different topics. As long as its about growing or weed orientated, I don't see the problem.
    I mean without "chat" it isn't much of a forum:(

EDIT:
    Hate ta call you out on this but...
    You're like #4 on the highest poster in there with close to 3K:hide::laughing:

7. there was/is a problem w/ chat threads.. i saw it first hand as a mod... most threads in the "other forums" are incapable of being self moderated, and required WAY too much mod time.

i totally get and respect the rule.. 100%

just a 6 year old thread (sticky) that required little to no moderation.. is kind of a bummer :(

8. Maybe I was to Hasty Closing it and should have Asked The HIGHer Uppers First...Just didn't want any Blades or Bladies Thinking Mods are Above The Rules.

9. I'm looking into this, I'm not sure if it was the 'right" thing to do. I need more info on it, will come back on the topic. thx

~SJ

10. HIGH Boss, I Made a Thread in The uno Where Forum....it will Explain things Better.

11. no way dude.. you did what a good mod should (in my opinion) you had little choice in the matter.

i think it's cool that we all give a shit about the city and that thread enough.. to be able to sit here and discuss it.

12. #12 oldskoolgrower, Feb 6, 2011
    How many since AK left and his chat thread closed? Go ahead, count them. Not that many. Like I said I hate double standards.

For the record I'd rather they LET chat threads go in a judicious manner. I'm not out gunning for any particular thread to be closed. I was just making a point.

13. my thoughts exactly.... we were self contained law abiding blades. Goofy maybe, but there was alottta good info flying around everyday.

14. And a valid one at that. I'm with the old guy on this one, it seems like it was deleted to make a point... it saddened me when I saw that it had closed after so long. I was never a huge poster there, but it was always full of nice, rule-abiding people and I always felt welcome there.

15. AW is right on that.

The main problem is that there were too many of them to moderate, I think. They become moderation nightmares and sometimes people see it best to remove them before they can cause a problem.

I also understand that people like to have a singular place to come and chit chat. NIRVANA doesn't need a whole lot of moderation, it's a great spot for such a thread. The grow area, those guys mostly hold themselves to a higher (get it? ;)) standard of posting, and I can see a chat thread working there with little to no issues.

As I said though, we can't have many chat threads. They aren't needed, and they're a pain in the ass for moderators/admins.

I think the all or nothing that OSG suggests is not the proper route to take. I think 2 or 3 official chat threads would be fine, myself. If people show they can't handle it, then maybe the best thing to do would get rid of them completely. This is a community guys, your input matters a lot. Please understand that whatever the admins decide, it's for the betterment of the community. :smoking:

16. i always thought that particular chat thread was allowed because most of the people posting there had colored names- i thought to myself when the general chat thread got closed down that if more regular members started to post there i bet you it would be closed.

surprise surprise

17. I agree with the idea of having a limited number of chat threads. Much better then everyone starting their own chat thread and having way too much to watch over as stated. The grow sections chat thread was pretty dam stable. I am not a Nirvana guy so idk bout that but if they have shown to work just fine without giving you mods headaches then they are enriching the forum if anything.

18. Honestly, there are other kinds of threads that get a lot worse way quicker than a chat thread. For example, pretty much anything in the music hall.

19. and the sports lounge.. and "seasoned" (lol) tokers..

20. hehehe we never chat in the sports section! :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.