Charges Dropped; Sleazy Deputy Stole Medical Marijuana Card

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by oltex, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Charges Dropped; Sleazy Deputy Stole Medical Marijuana Card
    TokeoftheTown / 2,1,2011

[​IMG]

Photo: Calaveras County Sheriff
    Deputy Steve Avila admitted he stole a medical marijuana patient's I.D., falsified the birthdate, then bought pot with it -- and arrested the man who sold it to him!

Prosecutors have dropped drug dealing, cultivation and possession charges against a medical marijuana dispensary owner in which a Calaveras County sheriff's deputy used a legitimate -- but stolen -- medical marijuana card to induce the man to sell him cannabis. Jay R. Smith, 37, pleaded no contest Friday to a single charge of aiding and abetting another person to commit a felony, according to court records, reports Dana M. Nichols at the Stockton Record. Smith was sentenced to pay a $160 fine and serve 90 days in jail, but will not be subject to probation. The plea deal means he will be able to continue work as a medical marijuana patient advocate, Smith said.

His arrest on January 4, 2010, prompted protests by medical marijuana patients and providers. At the time, Smith was operating K Care Collective, a medicinal cannabis dispensary.
    Calaveras County Sheriff's Deputy Steve Avila, also known as "that sleazy piece of shit," posed as a legitimate medical marijuana patient named Robert Shaffer of Ione, California, and contacted Smith seeking to buy cannabis. Deputy Avila had "gained possession" (I guess that's what they call stealing when a deputy does it?) of Shaffer's medical marijuana card in late 2009 during an earlier drug case against Shaffer. Deputy Avila then proceeded to falsify the birthdate on the card to persuade Smith to sell him marijuana. Avila claimed he obtained the medical marijuana card "from an investigation we conducted," but also claimed he "did not recall" which officer obtained it, or how it was obtained.

[​IMG]

Photo: CCRMGDr. Phillip Denney: "It just smacks of entrapment and sleaziness to me"

​Smith said that when he called Shaffer's physician, Dr. Philip A. Denney of Carmichael, the card proved to be legitimate. So he agreed to sell marijuana to Avila, not knowing the officer had stolen Shaffer's identity. Both Dr. Denney and Shaffer both later objected, saying they had not consented to Deputy Avila's use of Shaffer's medical marijuana card, and that they did not know of Avila's plans to do so. "It just smacks of entrapment and sleaziness to me," Dr. Denney said after learning the recommendation he had written for Smith had been stolen by Deputy Avila.

Smith delivered the marijuana to the man he thought was Shaffer in the Valley Oaks Center parking lot in Valley Springs. Then-Sheriff Dennis Downum claimed that meeting someone in a parking lot is not within the legal guidelines for selling medical marijuana. Prosecutors agreed and pressed the case.

Smith said he pleaded no contest to save money. He said he had already spent $45,000 on attorneys, and going to trial would have cost him another $12,000, far more than the $160 fine in the plea bargain. Court documents do not indicate who the other person was who committed a felony allegedly aided by Smith. "The charge is a trade-off," Smith said. "There was nothing discussed in there about who that person was. And Shaffer had nothing to do with my case."

According to some activists in Calaveras County, the Sheriff's Department has targeted everyone who sells medical marijuana to patients.

2. The fuck man????

I just went into hulk rage mode....

The fact that LEO's even think about doing this proves exactly what kind of scum they are

Im thinking about posting this somewhere so people can get a nice view of these corrupt bastards

suggestions?

3. Man I wish this world could be a peacefest where everyone walks around hugging each other.

4. Arresting a legitimate business should be illegal on a state level so DEA and Officers would be arrested, thus stopping them in a nice cluster fuck of laws, forcing them to stop the arrests. Every state with legal weed should do this.

5. The cop broke more laws than the shop owner! He should have his badge and gun removed. And have to serve community service by volunteering to help medical marijuana patients.:hello:

6. Its ridiculous how many laws he violated

falsifying records
    identity theft
    entrapment

this dude should be expelled from the force, and forced to serve jail time for these crimes he committed

7. Why? He was just trying to protect and serve... ;)

8. Protect and serve or not, the dude broke several laws, and should be punished for the laws he violated....

i hope through some twist of irony, he ends up needing mmj and gets denied for a card

9. sarcasm alert!

10. LOL I love how they say he "gained possession" of the card. Thats GREAT. Im gonna use that shit if I ever get a chance to, in court.

Judge: U are being charged with theft in the 2nd degree. How do u plead?

Me: NOT GUILTY. I simply gained possession of the merchandise. There was no theft!

11. i wish cops had to obey the laws. it would be cool if they were actually held accountable for the shit they pull. fuck the law.

12. Put him in charge of fertilizing the plants and use bovine scat which must be hand mixed:smoke:

13. I thought they did a really good job of describing the officer here :hello:

14. its sad that they were able to pressure him so much financially that he had to plead no contest...

we should try to appeal this somehow, maybe an organization could help with the legal costs....

its ridiculous that they could get away with this

15. Woooooowwwwwwww wtfffff

16. I'm not sure what I'm more disturbed about, the fact that this criminal (call the LEO what he is, FFS) did this and basically got away with it, or the fact that it would appear that the Calaveras County Sheriffs Office feels the need to waste taxpayer dollars on making fucking baseball cards for all their deputies. :mad:

The "criminal" should be in jail, and CCSO should have their MMJ "budget" revoked for this bullshit.