Changing pots throughout grow?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by kokoloko, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Hi guys,

I was wondering what are the advantages and disadvantages of changing the size of your pots whilst the grow?

Im buying these pots, they autofeed and work in soil and perlite.

Pot Growing Solutions | Marijuana Growing, Growing Weed, Pot, Marijuana, Cannabis

Also, Im trying for an organic grow, or organic nutes at least feeding the plant through water like worm casting etc, kelp, molases, etc.
    I asked the site what size pots should I get if I want to yield 500g in a 1.2sqm tent 600w lights, I could get 1000w if it will make a difference.

I got this reply about the pot sizes:

"recomend starting seed first and then when it sprouts start in 6in pot until about one foot tall and then go to 8in pot until about 2 feet tall and then 10in pot . should take about 2 - 4 months depending on method of growing . good luck talk to you soon "

At first on these forums, I was told to grow in 9 pots, and then I was told its better to grow in 3-4 bigger pots. And I can get that amount in 8 weeks or so before harvest.

Subcool are one of the best seed sellers and he says the third dimension's harvest window is 45-55 days and he always grows organically no hyrdo.
    Sub Cool Seeds
    So what do you think?

Thanks
    p.s I know Ive been asing a ton of questions

2. To each their own on sizes but i think at most I've done was germ then sprout in a party cup...then into a 1/2 gallon pot (6 inch)... then to it's final home, usually a 3-5 gallon bucket.
    Figure 1 gallon per foot. Mine by finish (for indoors) are just under 5 feet.

3. IN MY OPINION, soil that auto-feeds is not a great idea for a few reasons. If u read about "{miracle-gro" on grasscity u will find alot of bad info about it. thats because it auto feeds.
    besides that, u can start in anything small like he said 6-16oz cup. Then I would recommend putting it into its final and biggest pot, so it doesnt have to be transplanted later. 5 gallon is what I use, but I found out that if u use 10 gallon ur plants with be guaranteeed to get larger. next year i will go with 10 gallons.

4. Thanks guys.

How about the growing time and yield? I want to grow about 400-500g in 8-10 weeks, the strain says 45-55 days. So would using a bigger pot, take more time growing?

I liked the idea of putting it straight into its final home, but found a thread with different opinions and why it could speed up growth. But causes a bit of stress I guess

5. If u want to grow in only 8-10 weeks u would need an autoflowering plant. and those normally yeild only about an oz or less sometimes. mine came out a half O when i tried them. i maybe wrong they mite get bigger than 1 oz but they dont yeild as much as normal plants.

Bigger pot should not take more time to grow, just has the capability to grow bigger.
    What I do is i put soil in a small plastic cup. and when I transplant I transplant to a large container of the same soil. The size of the container shouldnt shock the plant . goodluck bro

6. Thanks dude. Maybe I should get a better light? like a 1000w?

My only choice cant be autoflowering strains. Ive been asking for months and months and Ive read I can grow normal strains in that time. Like the one I linked above.

Thanks again, Seeding will remind me of nursery lol, of course i have grown since then, but not in a cups like people have read, its put a smile on my face

7. my bad i didnt kno u were growing indoor. u probably can in that time but the yeild will be small as well. I meantt outdoor u cant do it that fast. indoor u can make her flower when u want
    Im not sure about the 1000w i gro outdoors, im sure someone in the indoor growing section can help u out! goodluk

8. More light won't speed anything up persay, but you will get more yield with a 1000 vs a 600 of course. But bare in mind, heat issues and ventilation can come with upgrading.
    As to your time thing... Get a mother, and keep cutting clones. Make it perpetual? It probably still wont hit 500g (thats a pound a plant) but hell if you can do like 3 at a time and pull 3-4 ounces per plant (mebbe possible in 3 months total) You'll have about what you want.
    Just some thoughts. :)

9. Thanks guys. Ill try and find some grow diarys on those strains I want t grow.

Says 45 days, so I was thining, 4 weeks veg and 4 weeks flower should be ok right?
    When it says it can harvest in 6 weeks and they are a quality strain seller.

Im still on the wall about having more pots or fewer bigger ones. People on THC were telling me I could easily get 10z per plant if I grow in 12l pots but could it grow that fast to get that yeild.

10. it would be hard to get 10 oz per plant in 8 weeks unless the strain is good for making a high yeild fast. the average plant might not get that big that fast but u can probly get close. I would go with 5 gal if outdoor, maybe 3 gal since ur plants wont get as big. if u want them to get big-if heighth is not an issue might as well go with 5 gal. the bigger pot lets the plant get bigger so let its full potential thats why in the ground they get biggest u probly knew that goodluck man

11. cheers gre.
    Ill be growing inside in a 1.2sqm tent and i think its 2m height.
    Check out the strain i want to grow, its called third dimension by subcool seeds

12. awesome that plan sounds good. i checked it out ur rite it matures quickly. i couldnt find the yeild but i would ask people or try to find the averageyeild for that plant. i think 2m should def be enough for those plants they prob wont need more then that. the picture of the bud looks super tho on the website

13. Yeah I havent been able to find yield either. So does that mean 6 weeks after seeding?

14. Thanks for taking the time and looking for the strain

15. I think that means from seed to harvest 45-55 and they say its the fastest harvest on their website. here is a thread someone growin third diminsion but i didnt take time to read all 11 pages ha!

16. Sounds even better. Where could I find the thread? Search came up with spirtual threads lol

17. I will be watching this one :)

can't wait to see pics!