CFM's Duct fans and carbon filters...?????

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by zoomatl, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Gotta quick question ....im about to get a (ecoplus carbonaire carbonfilter 4" max cfm 200 ...16 lbs. of carbon.)...and a cool breeze reflector...its the one that looks like a cool tube with a glass sealed reflector attached with 6" flanges built in ....for a hydro hut tent and and wanted to know if a 300 cfm duct booster fan will be too much cfm... the fan can be wired to 180 cfm also...or i can get some fantech inline fans one for the light and one for the carbon scrubber...my reall question is how strong does the fan cfm need to be to cool a 600 watt hps air cooled light and to effectively scrub the air of a 4x4x7 grow tent with about 2-6 large plants...using the Ecoplus carbonaire filter it says it has a max cfm of 200 but i thought i had seen filter fan combos where the cfm of the fan was much higher than the cfm of the filter....also the idea is to pull cool air from outside the hut over the bulb and out of the other side of the hut ...and the carbon scrubber and inline duct fan would just blow out air and the exhaust woudl create a vaccuum and draw air inside passively from the vents at the bottom of the hydrohut. Can anyone help me to understand that part ..?:hello: :confused:

2. Size of fan is dependant on many things, for instance; ambient temperature. Use this calculator.

The cfm rating of the scrubber can be slightly smaller than the fan, maybe 10-15%, perhaps more, but you can always wire up a fan controller and slow the fan down to match it exactly.

As to your vacuum, check out the pic in this thread to see how it generally works. One fan, one scrubber, one air-flow.

-mu

3. I guess i now know how to match up the fan cfm with the scrubber max cfm ...but i was also wondering if the cfm of the duct booster type of fan( eco plus in-line booster) will be the same as the cfm for the in line centrifugal type fans( vortex or Fantech)...there is a huge price difference ...between the 2 kinds....??

4. Each fan is different, you'll need to refer to the manufacturer's literature. They usually have PDF's for download on their sites.

Duct fans are designed to pull through ducting, and keep their pressure over long distances (think low gear, high torque). If you have only a very short run of ducting, or no ducting, a non-duct fan of a similar cfm rating would probably do the job fine.

Those window-fitting extractor fans, for instance, can be very powerful, though often somewhat noisy.

-mu