cfl's

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by begginer, Apr 2, 2009.

1. My friend went and bought three 75w daylight 1150 lumnes each. Are these what he need for 1 plant? Are these good and will they work? He's done alot of research and thats the best he could find besides the MH (metal halide) and he diddnt have the money. He also has 100w ?lumnes soft light but are not on should he stay with the daylight during veg? And use the soft light during flowering? his plants are a little over a month old. So someone who has some helpful information please get back to me.

2. is your "friend" really you? lol and nah man i'd try and get a little more lights. I personally have 6- 26w CFL on one plant and its doing very well with that lighting. They dont need much, they are just weeds. But if your looking for Yeild, MH and HPS are better. good luck to you my friend.

3. Thanks man i will tell him what you said. lol

4. I'll say this just once: if it indeed is a friend of yours that your speaking on behalf of, then thats cool. but if this "friend" is really you, then hey man, dont worry, we're all on the same page on this site. don't worry.

With that said, definitely stick with daylight for veg. Also, be sure to refer to the wattage of your lights not by the equivelant, but by the actuall wattage. (100watts=26watts) when dealing with CFL's. It makes it alot easier to help. The Rule Of Thumb is 100w per plant, but more is always better. And yes, save the softwhites for flowering.

5. Ok it really is for me just wantend to watch what i say cause some people have nothing better to do but fuck with people that they dont know for no reason at all. But my daylights are 75w = 20w so i take it that i need atleast 5 altogether correct? I thank you for your time and giveing me some pointers.

6. lol thats funny, but from now on just say its you who needs help, because some people feel more inclined to help a the one with the question, not his friend(if u know what i mean). this is what this site is for anyway. To answer your questions, those 75w's sound like some of those giant CFL's that are like curvy tubes instead of spiral. Even if u use all three of those, you will want about 5000 more lumens, which is like 3 or 4 26w daylight cfls. and then for flowering, you will want atleast 10,000 lumens of soft white or warm white lighting. That could be another 2-4 lights, depending on how well you want your grow to turn out

7. well i just went to wal-mart and got two 100w = 26w plus the three 75w = 20 i already have. That should do the trick rite? 7800 lumnes total. is that going to be good enough?

8. Ive heard that you want roughly 5000 lumens per plant. CFL's tend to have poor light penetration. This means you are going to either need more lumens once the plant gets bigger or more effectively placed lumens.

You are working with pretty low wattage CFL's so you can distribute the light more evenly. If you are sure to move some of your CFL's down to fill out the sides of your plant, 7800 lumens should be plenty.

Of course, you can always get around this and LST that badboy. Basically you either wanna wrap the light around your plant or your plant around the light.:hello:

Happy growing "friend"

9. arcrad, whoeevr told you 5000 lumens per plant was misinformed or retarded.
    Beginner, 7800 lumens for vegging would be ok, you could still do with more though. Once you're flowering though, you will want 10,000 lumens or more of soft/warm white lights. Mkae sure you switch from daylights to soft/warm whites!

10. I think it may have been 5000 lumens per sq. foot.

11. Ok thanks guys. I am getting more wattage tomorrow. Ive got somemore questions on a thread about HPS or MH will someone check it out and tell me what you think? Once i get this stuff down pat i want be bothering you all about it cauese i will be tied up with the girls. LoL

12. ok cool ill check it out

5000 lumens per sq foot is worse because that means if u have a plant spanning over 1 foot then its getting less than 5000 lumens. like i said before whoever told you that was WRONG, and you should not grow with such low lighting.