CFL lighting for flowering

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by thestonerman420, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Hey GC, currently my plant is a 6 day old seedling but I am thinking ahead. I got a 1 plant closet grow going that is 4ft high, 4ft wide and 18 inches deep. I found two 150w 2700k CFL's in my basement and I was wondering if that would be sufficient light for flowering in that space. Currently I have 4 100w 6000k CFLs for veg stage. I am on a tight budget so I don't want to invest in MH or HPS bulbs yet since this is also my first grow. Thanks for the help

2. How many lumens does each bulb out out? thats what you wanna look at. Im guessing youll need at least double that for decent bud, since most 42w CFLs put out around 2700 lumens. The spectrum is right though at 2700K.

I would aim for around 10,000 lumens per plant or more if you can.

3. lol were u get ur bulbs man mine r pussys odk wattage but I'm shure like 23 u need ballasts?

4. The bulb says it has 66 Lumens per watt. So that is around 2700. Thanks man, really helpful. Also should I throw in a smaller 6500k light during flowering so it gets the complete spectrum or does it not matter.

5. CFL bulbs are self-ballasted. You only need external ones for HPS and MH bulbs I believe

6. Its a 150w equivalent so its really only 42w. You could find these at walmart and home depot but they are way more pricey than the 23w. I can get a 4 pack of 23w for $5. The 42w cost around $10 each. They even had a 60w that was like $15 but it was HUGE and the lumen output wasn't that great. Ive heard the larger ones put out a lot more heat too.

7. Depends who you ask...some people say its better so they get the full spectrum and some say its better to use all 6500k for veg and all 2700k for flowering. If youve got it laying around already and you need more lumens you might as well IMO. Just make sure you have at least double the right amount of spectrum compared to other. In other words in veg you should have 2 6500k's for every 1 2700k and vice versa in flowering.