CFL Lighting distance???

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by grewbie4200, Jul 13, 2011.

1. So my nirvana seeds are coming :D (papaya reg 10) and I have 1 CFL 23w equivalent to 100w how close do I keep it from a seedling, I want the plants short but I don't wanna burn them HELP~'!

2. You need more light. One CFL is okay for a few days but you'll need more light fast. Especially to keep her short. You want the lights about 1-2 inches away from her

3. You're going to want a lot more lights. A single CFL will be really hard to get a good yield.

CFLs aren't expensive. Invest in at least 10 of each kind for veg and flowering. Investing now will make you a lot happier in the future.

4. I have three but I will have to get some more lamps, and how far should or be for seedlings.?

5. #5 grewbie4200, Jul 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Okay :D 3 plants 3 lights sound good for the first 6 weeks?

6. No. I have 6 for one plant and she is looking great. One light per plant wont be enough. You should have 100 Watts for the first plant and 50 for each additional one

7. But I'm trying to do a stealth grow.. :( hmm...

8. 8-10 of the 23w cfls shouldn't take up too much space. They can be close together. Alternatively you could use less bulbs at higher wattages.

And no more than 3" away from your plants at any given time.

9. Well what are the dimensions of your box? You won't need that much light if your box is tiny. Especially for veg.

10. One 23w CFL is enough to start a seedling, but yes you will want more, a total of at least 4 (of that wattage) for the first plant and at least 2 more for each additional plant to take it all the way through to harvest.

To start you can keep that CFL about 5-6 inches from the seedling but lower it every couple of days until after a week it is as close as possible without actually touching the bulb. From then on you want to keep the bulbs as close as possible, literally 1 inch or so, without actually touching the bulb.

11. Dimensions are about 3x3x3

12. This about how close it should be?
    Yes I have a fan, and should I use Mylar as reflectors?? Sorry about the questions D:

Attached Files:

13. That's OK to start, but once the sprouts pop through the soil start lowering the lights an inch or so every other day until the bulb is literally an inch or so away.

That's not a great fixture to use for growing. That holds only one bulb, right? If so then the fixture is so big it will crowd out space for the other bulbs.

14. Oh, for 3x3x3 you should definately use about 10 of these lights for flowering, can be fewer for veg (use 6500K lights for veg and 2700K for flowering).

You can use mylar or just paint the walls white (low budget ). :)

15. #15 grewbie4200, Jul 13, 2011
    Kk I'll invest in some new grow lights, Wal-Mart , Lowes xD

16. #16 grewbie4200, Jul 13, 2011
    Okay-! I might do the Mylar Thingy and the seeds aren't feminized so I'm only expecting 1 female :eek:

17. Paint with flat white or use Mylar. I used flat white because it was a dollar at Walmart