CFL light fixture?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Hennessey, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Well i am working right now on my grow cabinet, last grow it got way too hot with 8 cfls, so what im wondering is can i put a layer of clear plastic in between the plants and the cfls, or would it block the light?

2. That still doesn't address where that heat goes. What's your ventilation situation?

3. out the top of my dresser

4. maybe rig up a computer fan or two to blow air on the bulbs??

5. still gets too hot, but im just wondering if cfl power can pass throught plastic to the plants lol

6. Maybe, maybe not. Depends on the material you are using. Window glass usually is treated to block UV so that's not good. Plexiglas who knows, that's not the kind of information they usually would test for and make the results available. Since CFL output is of such low intensity anyway, I would not look to that as a solution. Instead, look to better/stronger ventilation.

7. Look into T5s lights. Little to no heat and they don't take up much space.

8. sealing off the top with plexiglass and then venting behind where the bulbs are will take temps wayy down with very minimal lumen loss not enough to even matter. Only thing is you cant adjust the light height.