CFL DIY GrowBox

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Canehdian_eh, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Plants sprouted on 03/17/10...since than they have been flushed once due to a nutrient burn and have continued to grow very well. Recently noticed the lower fan leaves are starting to yellow and burn. I am using schultz pro potting soil plus (reason for Nut burn) and plants are under 250w daylight cfl in 6 litre pots, plan on transplanting today to 3 gallon. Will have some new pics today when lights go on. What could be cause the lower fan leaves to do this?

Here are some pics from earlier stages

Plant A (3 weeks)
    [​IMG]

Plant B (3 weeks)
    [​IMG]

Plant A (Just under 1 month)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pkant B (Just under 1 month)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. nice grow, whats the temp/humidity and the ph like? and are you feeding any nutes to it yet? and is that a 250w actual cfl?

3. temps are around 80-85, did not install intake or exhaust yet just leaving door open. Tried nutrients around 3 weeks old, but the soil has slow release fertilizer already (bad choice) which burned the leaves quite a bit, will wait til flower to feed again. PH is around 6.5, run off at 6.0. And 270 actual watts., is this too much or is there such thing as too much light?

4. Transplanted into 3 gallon pots and watered with ph of 6.5 roughly, run off at 5.0:confused: Not sure why? Took some pics of yellowing leaves on plant B, hope root bound was causing this, not sure though...

Plant A (5 weeks)
    003.jpg
    021.jpg
    022.jpg

Plant B (5 Weeks)
    011.jpg
    012.jpg
    014.jpg

Yellowing Leaves from B
    031.jpg
    032.jpg

5. Things look good after watering, B propped right back up, still noticing the yellowing of leaves. PH of water was a little high (7.5) but heres hoping this may correct the run off from being at 5. Anybody know what could be causing the leaves to yellow?

6. Hi.

As you know I am a complete noob, but a noob that has done tons of reading! lol. Could you potentially be over watering/nuting your plants?

7. You got a pretty good start man, I think youre having a PH issue. if you keep watering at different ph levels youre going to keep having problems, what kind of water are you using? Figure out what ph water you wanna give the plant and give it the same everytime, doing this will make your experience alot better one. keep it dank

8. NICE looking plants bro

9. I only gave the plants nutes once around week 3 which did some damage so I stopped, but my soil has slow release fertilizer. Im good with watering, if I think they need water I usually still water the next day.

10. how much peat moss do you have in your soil? peat moos is supposedly very acidic with a ph of 3 to 5.

11. Im not sure exactly, just store bought crap. I believe it is a ph problem I am having. I also have to transport the box tonight will have some updated pics later.

12. Well moving the box couldnt have went worse, the new spot it too small for the box and I have to either move it to a friends, or put them outside to finish...

13. Got some new pics, trying to odour issues under control before flowering. Also will not be taking any cuttings, plan to start new box once I am complete. Some burning of lower leaves on plant B, mostly young ones. I have not fed but soil does have fertilizer in it. Watering with ph 6.5, run off at about 5.0. What is causing this?

Plant A (both beside 1 litre bottle)
    035.jpg
    036.jpg

Plant B
    037.jpg
    038.jpg
    039.jpg

14. Pull all that Dead off, it is just going to hurt you more. Then to me the plant looks great other than those few leaves. Maybe you got water or feed on them while u were giving the plant. And that could have done that. Other than that I would say Nute lock out and would check the Ph of the medium. Thats wehre I would start

15. Well I have checked the run off, it is like 5.0, how should I test the medium? I am guessing I can't flush since the soil has slow release food. Also I may have got water on those leaves. could it really cause that much damage?

16. Yeah the water that sits on the leaves acts like a magnifying glass. And will burn the plant.
    Now the runoff is how u test the medium bro. You flush the plant or run water then check the run off with the ph meter. Thats how I check the ph of the medium.

17. Will flushing work if my soil has nutrients in it?

18. Yes You just have to flush with the correct PH water. So if ur ph is 5.5 then flush with 8,.0 or higher water.

19. I had to turn the lights off for about two hours today, could this have done a lot of harm?

20. a little, I wouldnt have gotten no light left a bulb on or sumthing.