CFL closet bagseed grow (pictures)

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by JNorris, May 29, 2011.

1. Hey guys, I decided I would try my hand at the wonderful world of cultivation. Im using *gulp* MG soil, mixed with extra pearlite, 8 26 watt CFL's for 208 watts. Unknown strain, but so far it seems to be going decently. Im not using any nutes just yet, Was hoping for some advice on that, I hear the FF trio is a good bet, but not sure if there is a more available product that I wouldnt have to go to a hydro store or order offline for. I actually tried to move the lights away from the plant in hopes to stretch it some more because it seems like it refuses to reach for the light, rather it bushes out on the spot, which I guess is a good thing? When should I start FIMing? Any general advice would be awesome :)

Attached Files:

2. You want it to bush as long as you have wide space to work with. :) Indicas generally will bush more than sativas.
    If you could get an extra 4 or 5 CFLS in there somehow you'd be really set for a good grow man!

Nutes: I personally use House & Garden..not your typical beginner nutes though. FF Trio works great and is cheap. $50 gets you, I believe, 1 QT of each three nutes: Grow big (vegging) Big Bloom and Tiger Bloom (flowering). The other nutes are all extra...these 3 can make the grow work. :) However, if you do have the money to spend...I would suggest buying the FF soluables to go along with the trio. Who doesn't wanna maximize final weight? :D

3. Thanks omdogg :) Some of my leaves are getting really light green blotches on them and the leaves themselves feel really dry, I should really have a ph meter I guess >_< Im afraid to water them too much because I dont want the timed nutrients in the MG to destroy the plants, but the soil on the top sides of the bucket is crispy dry, is it due for watering?

4. Well, it might...I would use soil called Fox Farm Ocean Forest. Its seriously the perfect soil to use. Also, you can go out to a hydro store or maybe even a fish supply store and buy a pH dropper kit. I bought my pH testing kit for $5.

5. Ive read about FFoF everywhere, but where exactly would I find that?

6. #6 TranceKid, May 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Hydroponic stores and online

7. Day 20: I started LST 2 days ago and im seeing some good turn arounds already. The leaves did start to curl a tiny bit around the perimeter, and to my understanding thats from too much heat (the temperature in the room was around 90 for a few hours, unexpected heat wave) >_< Other then that they seem to be doing just fine :D

Attached Files:

8. Day 31:
    Everything seems to be going fine for the most part, Lower growth is really starting to boom, FIM'd the tops 2 days ago :)

Most/All of the leaves are getting pretty dried out feeling, you can see in the pictures what I mean, I dont think it would be heat stress seeing theyre under CFL's and at a decent distance. I know im going to get smacked for saying this, I havent checked and Ph since i started, nor have i introduced any nutrients yet. Ive been using tap water that has been in my watering can for over a week. On one of the blades on a fan leaf I found what looks like insect damage? Im only seeing it in one area though. My mom who has been fine with the grow this whole time, is starting to raise suspicion that its going to smell soon and made plans with my brother to create a new grow box in his shed to transport them to. Im nervous about the move, I think a closet grow has a lot less maintenance then a shed grow, ie. humidity and heat. She said they can stay where they are until the smell is overwhelmingly noticeable. Would there be any harm (other then loss in yield) in switching them to flowering in the next week or two, I want to speed the proccess up (I know its bad ettiquette for a grower to speed up their harvest) and hopefully harvest an ounce or so? Is that a long shot for the conditions? as usual, comments, advice, even flames are welcome, feedback is constructive in any way shape or form :D

Attached Files:

9. Looking good bro! I'm doing a closet grow along with a trunk grow. Yours looks good tho! Beautiful lil plants :)

10. Thanks greenbudguy :) I came into this grow with a random light fixture and two random CFL's It was more of a "Eh, lets see what will happen" But when I saw the plants start to take so well, I decided it worth a shot :hello:

11. #11 greenbudguy, Jun 8, 2011
    Yeah this grow I'm on is still my first and I had a few hickups along the way so I'm excited for my next grow. I guess my trunk grow is technically my second grow. I have a Jilly bean and 3 clones from bagseed plants that are flowering in my closet grow. I also added a Kryptonite clone in my closet grow a few weeks ago. She was already flowering when I bought her so I thought I'd just flower her with some LST and she is blooming well.

12. Glad to hear your grows are going as they are, When do you think the earliest is I could put these guys into flowering with minimal consequences.

13. Now if you want. You can flower after about 3 weeks. Wont get as much yield but yeah

14. Well, It went dark at 6 pm instead of 12 am, its on a 12/12 :p

15. You're well own your way to some good smoke. :D

16. Im hoping :smoke:

17. #17 greenbudguy, Jun 9, 2011
    We're hoping for you too!

18. **Update** (1 week into flowering, 35 days from germination)
    Everything seems to be on track, my FIM'd tops healed up nicely, The LST is still holding strong and keeping the plants very horizontal,

I stumbled upon some Miracle Gro tomato food today, Now what im expecting to hear is
    "MIRAKAL GROW! DAT BEE FOR GETO GROWS, DATS GUNNA MERDER DEM BITCHEZ!!"
    What im HOPING to hear is something along the lines of
    "Its better than nothing"

I know at this point I should be using all these fancy dancy nutrients, but in reality, im poor as shit for the next week or two and dont want to drive 25 miles to the nearest hydroponics shop to spend $70 on nutrients. And yeah I realize the extra money will show in results, and frankly, I intend to buy these when I can afford them, but in the mean time, would this suffice? If not, does anyone know what I can substitute for a good flowering nute that I can find locally and wont cost me out the wa-zoo:confused:

Also, I think theyre both female :D but rather then getting too hip-happy I want to see what you guys think first

Attached Files:

19. Its better then nothing :) I've heard good things about the tomato food so I don't think you should worry. I'm poor too and had to save up for my nutes so I know the feeling. It does pay off tho. Just buy some little at a time. Get the Fox Farm trio. Amazon has them for like $38 where my local hydro store sells them for $50. Just with those three, you can have a successful grow. They are concentrated so they last. Mostly about a tsp per gallon every other watering so it lasts for small scale grows. The solubles are considerably more expensive but I'm seeing good results with them

20. Thanks for the speedy answer greenbudguy :hello:

I know when you FIRST Start a plant on nutrients your supposed to give them to the plant at like a quarter strength to introduce them, would this still apply since its going from no nutes to something, Should I ween them or is it not as big of a deal since they arent little sprouts anymore? The recommended dose is 1 tablespoon per gallon of water. Also, the third picture in, thats my female indication right? :eek: