ceramic heating element?

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by mynameiswho, Jan 7, 2010.

1. So i see videos of people lighting their bowls with what looks like a soldering iron/ ceramic heating wand type gizmo. What exactly is it and are they worth having?

thanks for the replies

2. you're exactly right, it's a ceramic heating element soldering iron.

tastes better, and imo works better than a flame.

3. the only difference you will notice is that it doesnt have the chemical taste that some lighters give

well that plus its easier to control how much you burn

4. ive tried finding them before online, any good terms to google so i can find on and get a good price idea going as well as start looking into brands? My friend was talking about getting a "fidor (sp?)" for all i know he got the name totally wrong but its basically a 100$+ wand that vapes (or at least burns it without a flame) the weed in the bowl so he says. I wanted to look into them to see if it was worth him buying. Thanks guys

5. Its a Hakko soldering iron, with the metal portions pulled off to expose the ceramic heating element!!

-tdark1

6. wow, thanks haha ill look into that. I think a beeline would be just as easy imo

7. Beeline does add some taste that the hakko doesn't!

-tdark1

8. for sure, my friend was just acting like him buying the ceramic thing was near the equivilant of me buying a 300$ bong. I told him before winter break "im gunna buy a nice ass bong for the house so we have something to be proud of" and his response was "oh for sure, if you get one ill get one of those ceramic heating things (he said some name but i dont remember what it was)" and kinda acted like the heating thing was an incentive for me to buy the bong if i wasnt 100% sure on getting a bong or not.

at the time i was like sweet we will have 2 nice ass things now for smoking but now that ive looked into it im not as impressed haha still getting a bong though :)

9. he was talking about a phedor.

phedors were around before people started talking about hakkos online. phedors are like 150$ which is why your friend thought that was pitching in. (imo you have better friends than i do). your friend was just talking about a more refined product with a jacked up price.

10. there we go phedor, thats what i was looking for. Wow for a minute there i was starting to think he was full of crap haha. Is it really worth 150$? I mean im sure its cool but i feel like being attached to a wall would be more trouble than its worth

11. no, it's a pretty hakko that's $100 more

12. The Hakko is great. My buddy got me one for christmas and its TITS. You really don't know how much BS taste a lighter is giving off until you hit a Hakko. I really only like using the Hakko now because I think the butane taste like ass.

13. lol the phedor doesnt even look cool for 150$ youd think if youre spending that much they cold give you someting better than an awkward shaped rectangle that from what ive been reading gets kinda hot itself. W.e if he buys one ill use it and im not gunna tell him not to buy it

14. I would buy a modded Hakko (DSOG here is your plug), they are around $90 shipped. Work like a flashlight, you leave them plugged in all day, then push the button down, in 10-15 secs you are RIP READY and the unit will turn off once you stop pushing the button!!

-tdark1

15. mind filling me in on where one could find a modded one of these?

16. DSOG duhhh

17. i dont know what dsog is >.<

18. Seems like something I could do. All I need is a picture of a modded one.

19. I'm looking for one also. Is the 456 model the one we should acquire?