Center of the universe

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by ohchit, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Alright so, might be an idiot for throwing this out there but, if the universe is infinate in every direction, am i always in the center of the universe? Even if i stood on the moon, the universe is still the same distance in every direction

2. You can't have a 'center' in infinity.

3. Interesting...

Since matter only appears when observed, technically you are the center of the universe because the universe presents itself to you as you observe it. So technically you are the "center" from which everything "physical" materializes.

Although when the revealed universe becomes objective to your conscious, direction and location becomes a factor and the result is you can't possibly be the "center" of it, since you don't know your exact location within the universe.

4. The universe does already objectively exist. Just because it is not yet apparent to you, does not mean it is there. There are some theories about the universe being what your conscious conjures up, but everything we know proves the universe is not just what one or all of us is conjuring up. Unless we're in the Matrix, but that's beside the point.

Why does direction and location only become important once the universe allegedly 'begins' to exist objectively outside of your conscious mind? Do you mind not caring about where you're at or going when the universe is yours and yours alone? If so, I can see why you enjoy the idea.

I'm also unsure of how being unaware of your location means that you are certainly not the center. It wasn't a factor in your own universe, yet you are supposedly in the center there.

5. I just burned, you just mindfucked me so bad..what.

6. #6 nolastnamex, Dec 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2012
    The universe does already objectively exist. Just because it is not yet apparent to you, does not mean it is there. There are some theories about the universe being what your conscious conjures up, but everything we know proves the universe is not just what one or all of us is conjuring up. Unless we're in the Matrix, but that's beside the point.

It isn't a "theory" that the universe is conjured up by consciousness, its science. Double Slit experiment. Also, wave-particle duality of sub atomic particles shows that until something is observed by consciousness, it ceases to exists objectively, it only exists as a probability distribution.

Why does direction and location only become important once the universe allegedly 'begins' to exist objectively outside of your conscious mind? Do you mind not caring about where you're at or going when the universe is yours and yours alone? If so, I can see why you enjoy the idea.

I'm also unsure of how being unaware of your location means that you are certainly not the center. It wasn't a factor in your own universe, yet you are supposedly in the center there.

Thats because within the void of your own mind there are no boundaries (mind=consciousness), in the universe AT SOME POINT there is a boundary. the physical universe can't be infinite because infinity is a mathematical abstraction....the universe is finite. Therefore location is a necessity. The universe it just so big that we use the term infinite to get a better grasp of something we otherwise can't comprehend...

-Actually, i have no real solid answer to this.

7. I cant even wrap my mind around this shit ha

8. Are you proposing a finite or an infinite universe, because you seem to have changed it.

9. When did i change it?

The so called "physical" universe that we are observing is finite.

The mind/perceiver/consciousness is un-mesurable by any standard of human measurement...it is beyond anything a brain can understand.

10. You know what? Somehow I unintentionally skipped the last sentence. I suppose it's because you changed your argument by altering the parameters of the definitions you use. Enjoy your theories :)

11. Here, since you didnt grasp what i was saying ill clarify.

Consciousness is infinite/immeasurable. The universe which consciousness is experiencing is finite and temporary. That is the gist of what i just said.

When i said there is no locality to your objective view of the universe, thats because you don't know the boundaries of the universe, therefore you couldn't possibly know what your location is because it takes a boundary to be able to define a location within that boundary.

Now consciousness has no measurable boundary, you can't say "consciousness is 9 zillion feet long and 10 zillion feet wide" because thats impossible. measurements of "feet" or anything else for that matter are a physical measurements and consciousness is non-physical, so it can't be measured using things like feet, yards etc.

Hope that cleared it up.

12. So you believe that our consciousness (grouped? singular? not sure if it even matters) is bigger than the universe? No wonder I didn't grasp it. You place humans on way too high of a pedestal.

13. What are you even saying about our conscience?

• Like Like x 1
  14. It's funny you ask that since all I've done was consider what you've been saying. :confused:

But if I were to make a claim, it would be that it's all based on chemical reactions in our brains, and has no spiritual reasoning behind it.

15. You exist right? (i don't know if YOU exist, since your experience is subjective) but lets just say you do. YOU EXIST. The core of your existence is consciousness, thats it. You are conscious, aware of experience...you are the experiencer. You aren't the body, or the brain, you are the awareness, which isn't physical and isn't caused by something physical. Awareness simply IS, it has no beginning or end.

This space-time reality we live in is temporary, its real, it just isn't all there is or ever will be. Life is larger than this space-time existence which we think is the fundamental reality.

16. No part of the brain has been found that is responsible for creating consciousness, in humans or animals.

17. Show me consciousness without a brain.

18. would a concious living being from another planet, be able to be concious with out what we call a "Human brain". Brains are essential for manifestationof conciousness for "HUMAN" life forms, different physical and non phisical characteristics exist for different type of "concious"life forms

19. Do you mean give you an example of something conscious that doesn't have a brain? Or do you mean explain how consciousness can exist without one?

20. simple answer YES cuz I like your thinking.