cawhen putting plant into 12/12, can i just put it in a box?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by dude1, Feb 22, 2010.

1. does it require new air goin in the box? or can i just get a box and leave it their for 12 hours and bring it out under my lamp for 12 hours

cus i have everything planned out except the part of finding a dark room for the 12 hours of darkness

2. I don't see why it shouldnt work, just make sure there are absolutly NO LIGHT LEAKS, and the place you leave the box is warm enough. You might want to check conditions within the box before making it your plants constant 12/12 bedreeom because with no fresh air movement in/out of that box for 12 hours, humidity may soar up and you could inevitablably have a fight with mould on your hands, but in theory, i don't see no problem with it

3. ok sounds good then, im going to try going straight to 12/12 from seed! but damn seed aint sprouting yet! 4 days dammit!

4. that is the method I am currently using. My grow box is only 11"x20"60", so I am using an old vacuum cleaner box as my dark room. I took 3 heavy black trash bags, put the box standing inside one, and taped it around to keep it tight. Then I put the other 2 over the top, after i have closed the 4 tabs of the box top over the plant. I also place a large cardboard piece over the trash bags, so no intense direct light can pierce through the bags and gaps of the top.

I think my results have been decent so far.....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXeg0Q4ApoY]YouTube - Personal Grow - Update 2/19/10[/ame]
    The budding plant is the only one that is going in the dark box for now.

The one downside to this I have had, is I sometimes miss the right time to put her in or take her out by 30-60 minutes.

5. You want to make sure that the light and dark pariod happen at the SAME TIME everyday.

light stress, (light leaks and inconsistent lighting times) are the number 1 cause of a hermie.

6. Build a box, put the lights inside, put the lights on a timer, give the box light-trapped intake and exhaust ventilation, and then you're good.

7. I agree with Toasty but if you still want to put it in just a box you could add a pc fan to the top to suck out the extra moisture.

8. rooster, i also i have a ferret!!!

9. Cool...I just lost one but I have another one.

10. #10 omeletduefromag, Feb 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2010
    Wow you guys must have not passed bio in highschool. As a bio major in college I should inform you that mj does must of it's breathing at night(when its dark) and if you have it in a small confine air tight space for 12 hours it will most likely use up all it's co2 and you will be left with jut oxygen which the plant can not survive on. Try to rig up some sort of ventilation with like a a long pipe set up with muliple bends in it so I will be extremely hard for light to get in yet still vent air. If you spray paint the insides of you e haust setup matte black and add like multiple bends facing down you should a very small amount of light coming in. I know light will still come in but I think that your plant breathing is more important than the tiny bit of light that will actually get it. If you really want to, stick a mylar lens filter at the end of the exhaust and no uv will come in anyway.

sorry for any grammatical mistakes. I hate the iPhone keyboard.

Just my 2 educated cents