Catnip growing question if anyone has any experience

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by MarGreenThumb, Feb 10, 2009.

1. yes, i literally mean catnip. has anyone grown it? i'm going to try a run at hydroponics with it, but i'm not sure of the nutrients it needs, does anyone have a source for what nutrients it benefits the most from or do most hydroponically grown plants enjoy a relatively similar feeding schedule? i'm wondering if the lucas formula would work for it. :hello:thanks

2. Just google "grow catnip", tons of info and links. And interestingly, not one of them is to a site dedicated to growing marijuana like this one is... :rolleyes:

3. i'm sure most of the catnip websites have tutorials on hydroponically grown catnip using the lucas formula as well. :rolleyes: i'm sorry, i took "general indoor growing" a little too generally

4. It's all cool. I seriously think you will find much better help with this elsewhere, but I'm not meaning to stop anyone with good info on this to share it. I hope your cat appreciates what you're doing -- wait, what am I saying, cats don't appreciate anything...

5. catnip is a weed dont really need much more than dirt to grow. but your doin it hydro so do it like you would mj outside they can grow side by side proly just need some m.grow

just wondering why u growin catnip

6. Growing Catnip

Catnip grows best in full sun combined with average, well drained soil. It grows well in hydroponics as well. It is a perennial herb of the mint family that will grow from 3-5 feet tall. Water them regularly. Cut out last years spent stems in early spring, which creates room for new ones. Cutting the plants completely down after the first bloom set will allow enough time for the plant to completely regrow and bloom again.

Plant Height
    Catnip grows to a height of 3 to 4 feet (90 - 120cm).Plant Spacing
    Catnip plants should be spaced between 15 and 18 inches (38 and 45 cm) apart.Preferred Soil pH RangeCatnip will grow in a relatively wide pH range between 6.1 (mildly acidic) and 7.8 (mildly alkaline).

PropagationFrom seed. Start seeds indoors before last frost.

Soil RequirementsWell drained, average soil.

Alternative Growing MediaSoilless potting mixes, perlite, vermiculite, rockwool, coco peat, Oasis foam.

Time From Seed to Saleable Plant
    Sow in plugs or seedflats 12 to 15 weeks before sale. Seeds to finished plugs, 8 to 10 weeks; plugs to saleable plants, 3 to 5 weeks.Sun & Lighting Requirements
    Catnip grown outdoors prefers full sun but will tolerate some shade.

Chives will grow indoors satisfactorily under standard fluorescent lamps, and exceptionally well under high output fluorescent , compact fluorescent, or high intensity discharge (metal halide or high pressure sodium) plant growing lights. Keep standard fluorescent lamps between 2 and 4 inches from the tops of the plants, high output and compact fluorescents approximately one foot above the plants, and HID lights between 2 and 4 feet above the plants, depending on wattage. Have an oscillating fan gently stir seedlings for at least 2 hours per day to stimulate shorter, sturdier, and more natural plant habit.

USDA Hardiness
    Zones 3a through 9b.

Water Requirements
    Water on a regular schedule, taking care to not overwater.

Potential Pests & Diseases
    Whitefly, spider mites. Minimal disease issues.

Special Notes
    Catnip may be considered a noxious weed or invasive plant in some areas. Catnip is known to attract bees, butterflies or birds and has fragrant blossoms. Catnip self-sows freely; remove flowers (deadhead) if you do not want volunteer seedlings the following season.

7. i'm growing it because i love my cat. there's nothing like curling up with my purrbox and getting tainted with life's pleasures. i don't want to share with him so i'm getting him his own lol. i figured it would be a good experiment, but i'm not finding the info i need for hydroponics. i'm just wondering what nutrients it needs and if the general hydroponics micro and bloom would be sufficient support for it. i've seen a couple people growing mj side by side with it but didn't know what they were using for it. thanks for the replies!

8. i have a big patch of it growing in my back yard. i love watching my furry fuzzhead go crazy on some nip:)

9. #9 KreeMN, Feb 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2009
    I grow it in a large container out on the deck. It reseeds itself every year. I don't do anything but water it and keep the ants off it. They like to use catnip for a nursery. I use MiracleGrow time release potting soil for those pots. I get enough in a season in MN to keep my 3 cats happy most of the year.

10. The things we do for pussy:p!