Caterpillars

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by livinthedream, May 5, 2009.

1. the recent seasons i have grown i have been encountering problems with caterpillars. Everything has been turning out fine but the caterpillars are a pain in the ass to pick out ounce i harvest. i have asked around and i have been unable to find a good solution to my problem. my cousin said that he heard of putting this aluminum type material that is black and in the shape of a cd at the base of the plant a couple inches off the ground. he said that when the caterpillars try to climb up the stock they cant get past the disk shape foil. has anyone heard of this method before and if so what are your results. i am open to suggestions, of course the only way i will try and go about this is organic.

2. i did so reading in the insecticide section and bacillus thuringiensis was recommended. is this formula supposed to be used the whole season or just during flowering. should i mix this in with my nutes when i feed my plant or spray it on.

3. #3 Corto Malteze, May 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2009
    I think you spray it on when/if you have any caterpillars or as preventive (but not a lot I suppose in this case). Use copper rings (rather than aluminum) as well. Good luck!

4. when you say " not a lot in this case i suppose" are you saying that using this formula it is bad for the plant if i use too much? does this hurt the quality of the budz more than the caterpillars if i use too much? also are you implying to use brass because aluminum foil is a fire hazard? it just seems that a 5-5"disk at the bottom of the plant wouldn't harm it or would it?

5. I'm really not sure for the caterpillar product, sorry. I don't think it would hurt the bud as it's an old reciepe and is natural. Just don't use it a few weeks before harvest I suppose. I never had that problem but maybe someone else can help you out. In any case I think it's less harmful than anti caterpillar products because it's natural you know.
    For the ring, the copper is said to work the best (better than aluminum), it won't hurt your plant either. Slugs don't cross it in fear of getting zapped.;)