Catching The Green Rush

Discussion in 'Marijuana Business and Industry' started by BTprojects, Aug 4, 2014.

1. I wanted to get into the Marijuana industry as a grower ASAP, I have the capital to invest ($100,000) which should cover the licensing and legal fees with hopefully a years rent to spare, and after that I'm either profitable or bankrupt.  So now to questions.

Is there still opportunity to establish grow centers in CO or WA?

Would I be better off trying to establish a Medical facility in one of the next states likely to go fully legal, namely Alaska,  Arizona, Oregon or Florida?

I can literally move out west now, live in a trailer (I have the trailer) and start hunting for an industry job (trimmer, cashier), preferably back of house and put in my application as soon as eligible then hope and wait.  Is there still sufficient opportunity in CO and would it be a reasonable expectation to have the business operational by this time next year?

2. Your going to need to establish residency for over a year before you can even apply for any type of lisence.
    Oh and 100k won't get you far. Try a million bucks to get somewhere.

3. I have never done a farm lol im still on my first grow with just two plants one 8 cfls lol, but im LOVING the experience. watching the plants growing, and seeing them react to all the funny things i do them is awsome. their kinda like pets that only 6 months :). anyways 100k i would think would be a suitable amount for a startup, idk how much licensing is but to rent a warehouse in co for 4k a mo for a VERY large warehouse like 5k sq/ft, lights and other equip might be 25k, and thats alot. 11.2 kw/h is co average for power so if you 10k watts for 16 hours a day thats like 20 bucks a day in power after all the other things too, per month that would be 600 so i think he could do it for 100k but what do i know ive never done and havent looked into till like 5 mins ago lol.

4. #4 Sgtstadanko707, Aug 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2014
    20 bucks a day running power. Lol. They are running 20-30 1k light for thousands of plants. It will cost way more than 25k to set up. Shit a real ac unit to cool a real warehouse running that many light would cost about 20k.
    Stick with your closet grow
    Amazing what Google will find

http://www.julesburgadvocate.com/julesburg-news/ci_25276253/colorado-marijuana-guide-64-answers-commonly-asked-questions

5. #5 the awoken toker, Aug 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2014
    I didn't even think about ac cause the that much light would generate a lot heat i mean shit 8 cfls generates a good amount. I know I don't really know much about the marijuana business. I really want to start though. that's why I'm doing this closet grow :) everyone start somewhere right? I have done research online about how to grow extesivly because that is still the part that im learning i dont know much about the comercial side (yet). hopefully someday ill be a master grower and will be able to grow anything anywhere. my mind is just soaking up knowledge about it over the past 6 months. this site seems to always be the site with the info :)

p.s. I dont expect to be profesional anytime soon. I'm looking 5-10 years ahead. 

edit : what would is the power consumption on commercial indoor grow jw?

6. hey buddy im here in CO.its over 100k just for lic. + equip. + warehouse + setup + store front ,most people cant even start for less than $500,000 and that's the low side CO is over run with weed and growers now Im hoping to send my grow out of state to make some money on it cuz prices are down so low from these multi-million dollar grows all over you would be better starting up in a freshly legal state and ride the green wave that way

7. A state that has just passed MMJ laws would be the best idea. Colorado sounds like the market is flooded with product, and already has a fair few big time growers that are leading the way.

8. are there any aprox. lists on the net that estimate when a state will legalize, and what/who should i follow to stay up to date on whats happening in the political scene with mmj in new states?

9. I am will I bet you don't know what NORMAL. Start there.

10. Lol. And you want a career in the industry. You got a lot if reading to do.
    Google normal+ weed
    Hell there might even me a normal thread on this very site. Lol.

11. wait are you not talking about norml, national organization for the reform of marijuana laws?

12. So I agree with the assessment that CO is already flooded and the opportunity there is too late.  I don't think $100,000 is too low, but it's definitely bare minimum, but it also represents the funds I have without bringing on an outside investor, I could bring another $100,000 to the table with a few phone calls, but I want to involve as few people as possible.

13. Oregon will legalize this fall. It has a long history of good bud production.

4 other good markets will be a seed banks, edibles producer, glass blower and hydro store operator.

Just like the gold rush , make money selling shovels.

14. hey my fellow tokers&growers right now no matter what state even here in CO. the edibles are where its at but you need to have a patent on child proof package that is clearly marked and filled with goodies that work measured to the mg if I had the funding that would be the direction I would go I have friends that are in all areas of the business and they say as well as anyone else in CO there are no to little edibles to buy and sell that's why its $20-$30 for a cookie I promise you whoever does so will be a millionair  I have a lot more to say on the subject but I have to go water my babies you know how that goes  

I know it, edibles are for the cannabis user who will not ever smoke anything. Seems like many people think of a pot smoking hippy when they think of a cannabis user and not the grandma eating a cookie.

My wife will not smoke, but right now she has some cannabutter/shatter brownies in the oven.

16. I've thought about being an edibles producer, and I have successfully made brownies cookies etc. (who here hasn't), but the biggest complaints from the anti-pot group is about edibles.  They want to increase regulation there, so I hate to get into an area that will be shut down, or so highly regulated that following all the regs eats into the profit margin.  Plus, how would you measure concentration, ensure regulation, and keep your concentrations consistent batch to batch (especially if you're using different strains of buds/trims each batch).  I think the support market is great, if I had the funding I'd by and lease warehouse space, since many renters aren't 420 friendly, but my funding is at hundreds of thousands, not millions.

17. #18 Botanical Lift, Aug 6, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
    Hundred G's will get you started with a few good sized rooms, you won't make much but if you use most your money to build your warehouse out and keep if firing on all cylinders you can do quite well. Don't kid yourself though, that warehouse is going to eat your life right the fuck up. 60-100 lights ain't no closet op and the overhead will more than likely end up getting you crushed by competition/gubbmint able to chrun more of the same quality for less further down the road depending on how spendy the warehouse is. I'm sure in some cheap ass places like Ft.Worth where it won't cost squat to rent 5,000sq ft. If you live in NYC or SF though you might want to consider leaving. 

If you really want to give yourself the best shot I think light dep greenhouses are the future compromise between in/outdoor. Mine has full on temp/CO2/humidity control, automated black out and HEPA filtered. Indoor quality, outdoor yield, power bill is NOTHING compared to indoor...maybe a bit more in winter if your using some big kid lights for supplemental lighting. But that's just my POV, if you live in the right spot in/out door might very well be the best way to go. You have to decide what works best for you. 

Also perfect your craft...focus your world down and get good at what you do. You have to take your work seriously if you ever want other people too as well. Never stop studying or advancing your horticultural/agricultural skills and botanical knowledge. Read books on it, take class's and seminars from all other aspects of the biz from dutch tulip farmers to ancient Polynesian banana growing practices they all have something of value to offer other aspiring horti-bugs.  It's the difference between a hobby and a profession.  

Take ques from other similar or similarly regulated industries...booze for example. Cannabis is going to wind up getting specialized with farms getting recognition for world class Hazes....or OG's but nothing on blues, someone like DJ short who is a total blue/berry guru is going to own/compete in that world. It's just like how a winery will generally produce certain kinds of wine but not others, nor beer, whiskey or vodka. But don't forget your market, you can barely give away blues/purps in NorCal, it doesn't mater what it is how potent or tasty.....if it ain't OG bay area wouldn't piss on it to put it out. 

Bet PNW/New England/Midwest kill it with their indicas, but they just are not going to produce or have the same quality/fame of jungle/tropical sativas like FL/HI will.  WV/VA/CO/CA/TN/KY/NC are going to be the probable states with the most variety/hybrid stuffs happening. Grower vs market vs geography vs legalities....ohhh what a quandary. 

Of course I could be way the fuck off on this, but I see a pattern in all the other consumable commodities out there and have no reason to suspect cannabis winding up any different. Oh and work on your patience, an industry filled with stoners will make you pull your fucking hair out at times.....seriously sometimes it's enough to drive a saint right up a wall, head doing a 360 while shooting pea green soup. 

Hope my 2c stoner rant helps. Best of luck. 

18. botanical lift-  Yes I figure $100,000 covers my licensing and attorney fees, grow supplies with hopefully a years worth of rent before the money is all gone, fortunately I have savings outside of that $100,000 that would feed me for a year.  Then I see a years spent producing and reinvesting to cover the initial $100,000, plus expand, to use WA state terms I'd like to be a large tier 2 or small tier 3 producer by year two of this project.  Then years beyond two should be profitable even with continued reinvestment in the business.

As a grower I would get warehouse space well outside of town with the intention of the property having the lowest value possible.  As an indoor grow I'll have control of the climate, so I think I'll have no issue producing sativas and indicas, in different rooms so humidity and temperature can be different.

I never thought about different markets having different demands, like NorCal having no interest in Blues (which I understand, I'm east coast and was sick of Blue Dream last summer), I figured I'd grow 2-3 indicas, 2-3 sativas and maybe a hybrid or two my first go, and everyone would want a little bit of everything.  I like to have a sativa and indica, sativa during the day and indica at night, I suppose it's errant to project my personal demands on to the market.

Since the rec market is starting in the PNW I want to open my grow there.  I'd be hesitant to get a light dep greenhouse because I'd think temperature would be too cold for most of the year to retract the roof, but I do like the idea of using the most powerful light source available (the sun).  I thought about using solar power to offset some cost, and it would definitely be a feature if I can save up enough to build my own warehouse, but I think that would be 5+ years into this project. 

I have noticed the weed market has a high concentration of stoners, and I can certainly see how that could be frustrating, but a lot of those people are competitors, and with the lack of organization from your typical stoner should mean much of the competition is inefficient and surpassable, so I think it has it's pros and cons.  Really though as young as the business is there should be sufficient market share for many operations.  I think running a grow op is a show of patriotism that would make the founding fathers proud, and I think there is profit available making it even more enticing, so I look forward to making my dreams a reality.

19. buy property