Cartels become exporters

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by caddawg, Apr 1, 2009.

1. #1 caddawg, Apr 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2009
    So if grass was made legal tomorrow, would that mean that the current cartels would be considered exporters? This adds some additional complexity to the legalize now idea. What do you think?:confused:

2. Can't imagine why it would need to be imported, were it to be legal. Everybody would just grow their own.

3. So if I grow my own then I deprive the feds the tax money I told them they would get by legalizing it... right?

4. Yes, everyone will grow weed just like everyone grows corn.

5. good point sir b

6. I can already see the field of corn near me replaced with acres of weed bushes :smoking:

7. Since I think you were implying that everyone won't grow their own, because everyone doesn't grow their own corn I will respond.

Not everybody grows their own corn, because it is sold to them for FAR FAR cheaper than they could grow it on their own, not to mention the space required to grow corn. If you'd rather pay a highly taxed amount for your cannabis, go right ahead, but I'm sure myself, and other smokers, will be growing their own.
    Oh and just to clarify, even if we were required to purchase TAXED MARIJUANA and support the government, it would be grown domestically, thus making your argument completely MOOT to the point of this thread.

:wave:

8. My point isn't moot, and all I am saying is that not everyone will grow their own. It will be a god damn industry... If that isn't obvious I don't know what is. Unless you meant humans will grow their own weed and not some group of marijuana producing space aliens in which case we all already grow our own weed. Plus, I don't care where my weed comes from, especially if it's legal since corporate whores will be the ones making money off it. The real question is do you want corporate whores or gangs controlling the pot market? I for one have a hard time making a distinction between the two.

9. I can see the drug cartels exporting the drugs from states that have it legalized. Since it would be easy to grow marijuana legally in these states, they could do so and then send them to other states or countries.

10. They would simply take their business to other states.

If it was legalized in every state somehow, they would take the hit but continue to supply other drugs like heroin. They would lose supposedly 60% of their profits without cannabis but then their interest would turn back to the harder stuff

11. The government would get their money either up front in sales tax, or indirectly.
    Marijuana is quite expensive given its current illegal status. I've heard figures that it costs about $400 to grow a pound of marijuana, versus whatever it goes for on the street- $5000??
    Now, when you have people with more discretionary income because they don't need to overpay for their marijuana, that is like giving them a stimulus check. They will have more money to put into other areas of the economy and the government will collect their taxes as usual. ;)

12. I'm sure there would be import/export regulations to prevent mexican drug cartels from exporting cannabis into the US.

Also, of course everyone would not grow their own. Many people are lazy, and then there are the occasional smokers who would not need to grow their own. I think that the overall price would go down, even with the tax, so many people would not be too bothered with the price.

While the cartels would have to focus on harder drugs their profits would be so hurt that many of them would probably be crippled finacially. I would also like to believe that with cannabis being legal people would be satisfied and hard drug use would slow down, but that's just my hope, really.

13. There are certain regulations that prevent groups that operate under fear and terror from being part of a u.s. agency.

I can't quite remember if it was Dole or Chiquita that got a nice fine for hiring Columbian drug cartels to look after their banana farms.

-C

14. i mean.. how many people brew their own alcohol or roll their own cigarettes (or grow their own tobacco)?
    it will be the same with weed.

15. Well, not really. Weed is a lot easier to grow than it is to grow tobacco.

16. okay, way to pick at one random point. the alcohol brewing and rolling cigarettes attest to the public's lack of will to produce their own sustenance.
    i mean if this shit was legal and you could buy it at a grocery store, some cheap DANK at that... you might still grow your own plants, but i'd put money you would still pick up shit from the store.