Cars Breaking Down

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by tokabowl420, Jan 29, 2010.

1. I just got home from walking home from Pep Boys where I got my car towed to. My fucking car died on my way to class like a half hour away from my house. This is the first time my car has broken down, and it died dead center in the middle of one of the busiest streets I travel on.

Most annoying part tho is that nobody has any idea whats wrong with it. It cost $120 to have the tow truck, and they just called me and said its guna be $90 to run more "extensive" tests to see whats wrong with it. So immediately I'm over $200 in charges adn they haven't even figured out whats wrong with it WTF :mad:

Car problems are the worst IMO, as if money weren't tight enough you have to spend possibly hundreds randomly.....anyone have similar experiences?

2. Cars are a bitch, that is for sure.

It seems unusual to me that they would charge you to run further diagnostics. If your car wasn't essentially stuck there I would recommend you take it elsewhere for a further look.

It definitely happens though. I've had my fair share of breakdowns. That's what happens when you don't own brand new cars (that loose tens of thousands of dollars in value in the first few years of ownership). Even then you can have trouble.

It is a constant battle for almost everyone that doesn't live in a 3rd world country. When I find a good car, get to know it well and know I can rely on it, I hold onto that shit like it's my last dime.

It is worth your while to do your research when buying used cars. Try to buy a make/model with a reliable, tried and true engine that has been used in many of the car brand's cars/trucks, etc.

Good luck to you :D

3. How did i die? just instantly, and did it make any noises? any check engine light on or something? Sure you didnt run out of gas? lol

4. Yeah because Pep-boys couldn't figure out it had no gas....

5. #5 bKush, Jan 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2010
    Hey there are people out there that need their batteries installed for them (excluding the elderly).

Never understimate stupidity.

The only way to ensure that your car has minimal breakdowns is to take very good care of it yourself. dont EVER trust a shop unless if you personally know someone that works there or the shop owner because 95% of the time, they will try to fuck you over for your money.

If you arent mechanically inclined, then buy a set of tools and a repair manual. Its not hard.

So what did the car do when it died? Did it just stall? Sputter? Pop? etc.

6. The fuel pump broke, no lights were on to warn me or anything. Right before it died it just sounded like the car was trying to accelerate for about 3 seconds and before I could get it over to the side it died. Found out its guna cost $475 to replace it plus the additional $210 for tow truck/tests. Luckily for the first time in a while I was dry and didn't have anything otherwise I could be looking at some more money to pay......trying to be optimistic...but....its....not....working.....

7. Hmmmm. That seems a lot for tow and tests. Its not hard to find if the fuel pump is bad. Just turn the ignition to ON and listen for the fuel pump to prime. If not though when cranking just listen for it spinning. I never go to pepboys for work though. They wanted 100 to mount and balance for 4 tires.

8. I agree %100 man, they should have a mechanical knowledge test that you need to pass before you get a license or something.