Carl Sagan's essay on marijuana

Discussion in 'General' started by 420420420, Mar 26, 2008.

1. If you don't know who Carl Sagan is, hes one of the most influential astronomers of the 20th century and known for having possibly the largest influence in popularizing science. I just started reading Cosmos, which is essentially a layman's guide for the introduction of astronomy, cosmology, and the way its evolved through the ages.

Anyways, it was announced after his death that he was a cannabis user, and he detailed his experiences under the pen name Mr X. Heres one of his essays:

2. this is so dope!

3. Carl Sagan is one of my most looked up to astrologists of all time. This is why he is one of my favorites. :)

4. bump, this rules. read it.

5. #5 dirtyroot, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2010
    He's one of your most looked up to astrologists? That's odd, as he was actually anti-astrology.
    He was an astronomer.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iunr4B4wfDA]YouTube - Carl Sagan on Astrology[/ame]

6. If you respect marijuana history you'll read this paper.

7. so true. i've been thinking about a lot of what he describes in this essay. the sex part is especially true haha

8. awesome read.

9. I've read this several times before but it never gets old. Dr. Sagan is one of my favorite people of all time.

10. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI9ImScQGAo]YouTube - Carl Sagan-Cosmos edited for rednecks[/ame]

11. I just read it and it was excellent.

12. That was awesome.

13. #14 Cottonmouth 85, Dec 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2010
    I'm sorry but that is hilarious. Did nobody notice this? He must've been high as a kite. I can just picture him alone in his room yelling political conspiracies into a tape recorder. "This is real motherfucker! Nixon is a coward I'm telling you! I'm not stoned! Cody Fischer. See! That was my best friend in kindergarten. There is no way I could remember that if I was stoned!"

Then him listening to that tape in the morning and going "Wtf?"

Not to mention his general experiences of being stoned. Jesus. Those 60's sativas must've been something special.

14. A very good read. thanks for posting

15. yeah i thought that too haha. still a good read though.

16. "I can remember one occasion, taking a shower with my wife while high, in which I had an idea on the origins and invalidities of racism in terms of gaussian distribution curves. It was a point obvious in a way, but rarely talked about."

Haha that's all he could think about during a time like that. He was a boss.

17. i like weed...
    and i like astronomy...
    i don't know when he wrote this but now i feel like damn he's gone...

i wish i have met him personally.

r.i.p. carl sagan.

18. Ill just leave this here

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wupToqz1e2g]YouTube - ‪Carl Sagan - Pale Blue Dot‬‏[/ame]

R.I.P Carl Sagan, your voice is sorely missed.

19. I love this guy so much