Carl Sagan - Cosmos

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by SammySess, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Hey blades,

Anyone ever hear of late Astronomer Carl Sagan? I've been reading his book "Cosmos" and it's one of the most interesting books I've ever read. He just speculates on a lot of common thoughts humans have to do with our universe.

I recently found out he made an award winning tv series called Cosmos before he wrote the book to compliment it, the videos are so interesting. I'm surprised how not so many people are interested or committed to finding out more about the universe and it's origins.

In my opinion, I think this world needs more scientists than we do entertainers. People complain how there's not enough jobs but the USA is actually on a large shortage of scientists! Jobs for those professions are widely available - I try learn as much as I can in my free time since I'm genuinely amazed by science.

Just thought I would share the first part of his Cosmos series, enjoy:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa1ImgOcOPM&sns=em]Episode 1: The Shores of the Cosmic Ocean (Cosmos: A Personal Voyage, Carl Sagan) - YouTube[/ame]

2. Lol you're asking a science forum if they've ever heard of Carl Sagan?

3. Isn't he the guy who went and did all that stuff in antarctica?

4. Carl is a LEGEND

After you finish Cosmos, definitely check out his other books. Some topics often repeat, but they are all very insightful.

EDIT: Just remembered, my avatar is a painting from my copy of the Cosmos. :D

5. yeah hes sort of a big deal

6. I don't think he's as famous over here as he is in the States, but yeah, a truly great man, such a perfect exponent of the capability of the human mind...

7. He's pretty popular here on the forums. I may have read Cosmos when I was younger, I can't remember.. I read quite a bit of Michio Kaku's early work and he had a ton of respect for the man. When I saw the movie Contact I thought it was a brilliant movie- need to read the book. Need to read a lot of things, but so little time now.

8. The guy is excited about stumbling upon a genius and wanted to share it just in case someone doesn't know who he is; don't gotta be a smartass about it dood he comes with good intentions.

9. Found out about Sagan watching the Science Channel a few years back. Never stopped watching or reading his works since.

He also smoked weed too. His wife works with Norml and he has an article on the effects of marijuana.

10. All Praises to Carl Sagan (PBUH)

11. Im reading Cosmos for the gazzilionth (sp?) time :)

I love the way he writes and the brilliance of its content.

There is a good quote on almost every page.

12. I've always liked the Cosmos tv show. I have the DVDs..

The thing I like about Sagan is that he puts his heart into what he says/writes.

13. Funny how I stumbled upon this thread; I began reading Cosmos a couple of weeks ago. A friend also sent me YouTube links to his show. :)
    They are both wonderful, to say the very least.

14. Do planets orbits graduaaaaally get closer to the sun or are they locked in a single orbit ?

15. #15 vipergts2207, Jan 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2012
  16. And Carl Sagan loved his weed. :)

Carl Sagan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

17. #17 Thunderstruck, Jan 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2012
    depends on their speed and acceleration, orbit in relation to other planets and if anything is in their path.

a planet on it's own in a stable orbit around the sun will stay that way until the death of it's host star.

p.s. check out the thread called Cool video's in this section (it might be a few pages back now) it's got a lot of Sagan and feynman video's, I love how those guys saw the world around us.