Careers?

Discussion in 'General' started by CmUrDeR, Mar 5, 2008.

1. So, i have been thinking lately about possible careers after highschool. (I am 18, for the record haha) I had previously thought I was heavily interested in the medical field, and was planning on dual enrolling next (senior) year at the local junior college where they offer nursing, and med tech courses, etc. I wasn't really sure what exactly but I considered radiology, not really anything definite. I've recently changed my mind about it however, after considering that the lifestyle of an herb smoker isn't really conducive to such a field.( I assume that it's a highly anti drug career, with tests?) I also lost the drive and interest I had for it, I just don't feel any passion for it, I guess. Im considering switching out of my human anatomy and physiology course as well, because if I'm not interested in that field I dont really see the point in keeping the demanding course.

Anyways, I guess the point of this whole post is, what careers/fields are both smoker freindly (as in not more than an initial drug test), and are viable, steady jobs with oppurtunities for advancement? Hope that makes sense haha.

Everyone in my family says I should look into law because I'm an obstinate sonofabitch and I argue well lol. So maybe junior college, transferring to a uni with a law program? I would imagine one could be a criminal defense type lawyer and basically do what you want?
    Sorry if this sounds naive or stupid haha, just looking for any insight from some fellow smokers who are productive and have fulfilling careers.

2. lol at a thread about careers being empty

3. lol yeah...

i was looking for some good feedback too, because I'm kinda in the same position..

4. Landscape and Horticulture !

5. i plan on majoring in computer science and getting some business classes under my belt as well. two posibilities to become a millionare lol

6. Haha, apparently my university has produced more millionaires from the landscaping major than any other here! I also worked for 6 months at a garden center and let me tell you being around plants all day sure is relaxing.

Anyways, I plan on pursuing a career in the computer field. It's pretty much all I'm good at, and I've wanted to do this for a while. Not programming or anything, but repairing and networking. If I need to quit smoking in a few years to make some bucks, so be it.

7. i believe that every career path is conducive to the herbal lifestyle, havn't you listened to peter tosh?...

"Doctors smoke it
    Nurses smoke it
    Judges smoke it
    Even the lawyers too

Legalize it - don't criticize it
    Legalize it and i will advertise it"

8. i wanna be a writer of some kind, either a writer for a magazine or a comic book writer, and i think i wanna write a book at some point too. that's all pretty stoner friendly

9. maybe a mechanic? or a chef idk im still open to any career opinions too.

10. Haha, forgot about the great Tosh, man.
    Are there compulsory drug screenings though in these professional careers?
    I think I could dig law, but who knows haha.

11. Mmm. I wanna be a teacher. Either art or German. Anywhere from k-college. Depends on where my heart takes me. Either that or a professional freelance artists *sigh*
    As far as smoker friendly jobs? Idk. Let's see...i've had high school teachers who smoked, college prof's who smoked...i know of a director at a daycare that smokes...I'm sure working at an office would be a low-risk job at getting tested.
    as far as doctors are concerned...i know if you're caught driving under the influence you get your license perminentely revoked...so i'm sure there's a lot of bad aspects at any job if you get caught...but i'm sure a medical career would be especially icky.

12. become a cop, and thenn do your job but ignore when a car reeks of pot, i always though thatd be cool if some cop did that. id unno

13. college for graphic design

14. I work in radiation oncology and one job that i find really interesting is the linear accelerator engineer

whenever the radiation treatment machines (accelerators) break we call him up and fix it
    He may get 3 repairs in a day (he is the 'mechanic' for 10 accelerators) and most are just stupid motors that take about 20 minutes to fix, or the radiation technician will break a thumbwheel and he was to replace it. It isnt unusual for him to not get a single call in a day, so he can chill in hos office or w/e and still get paid.

However some problems get real bad and may take alot of work and troubleshooting to figure out. But if you really like electronics and are a good problem solver/troubleshooter it could be a real fun job
    (honestly i spent more time looking at motorcycles and wasting with the engineer than i did at the hospital)

The manufacturer of the linacs also has their own engineers which oversee everybody, they get paid by the repair tho. But they work from home, a hospital will call the representative from Varian and he will drive out and help with the repair (or help over the fone) and if they dont get a repair call until Noon, they dont have to get up till then.

Makes about $70k, most engineers went thru the navy to get alot of electronics work then went to the manufacturer (Varian and GE are the two largest) to get specific training. Its def not a go to school type career, more like a mechanic with less work, more professional environment and better pay

Its a cool career because you often have no work(ubless you work for the manufacturer), you still are working in cancer treatment but you have a much more technical job.

15. as far as i know, once you get to a certain career level they are not going to drug test you. there is just a point where your professional credentials (via education, experience, etc.) kind of make it unnecessary i think. we aren't talking the local target, yah know? i would bet that government jobs would have more, not only federal, but state and city too. that sucks because i think it would be rad to be a Park Ranger.