Careers in snowy areas?

Discussion in 'General' started by 8ight, Feb 10, 2010.

1. So here in PA we've gotten a bit a snow lately, and it got me thinking... I LOVE snow, and it'd be so awesome to live somewhere that got a lot of snow for most if not all the year.

So I was wondering, are there some more "snow-oriented" jobs/careers that I could look into doing? I was thinking about maybe just doing something like plow roads cause I love driving in the snow and I work third shift now so I don't mind late hours. But at the same time, I imagine there'd be drug tests for a job like that (not just initial tests, but possibly annual or at least if I mess up or hit something). Plus, I kinda think it wouldn't be a really good full-time job, compared to what I'm making now and my current benefits. Unless I moved to somewhere that literally snowed every single day.

Or maybe not a snow-oriented job, but like are there specific jobs that tend to hire more in very snowy/cold areas? I actually would like to go back to school (I'm only 20), so if it's a type of job that would require some prior schooling that'd actually be cool. :)

2. ice road trucker

3. i thought about being a trucker in general... idk, i like driving, but i also like coming home to my own place everyday. or are truckers usually home everyday anyway? I don't know anything 'bout that stuff.

4. Meteorologist!

The harbinger of fatal blizzards and unabated natural disasters.

Get those umbrellas out folks; it's gonna be a wet one!

5. hey, i never thought about that! maybe not being the guy actually talking live on TV, but working kinda "behind the scenes" might be cool for a job like that. somethin' to look into, thanks!

6. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVWdf1Ky2bI]YouTube - homer simpson Mr Plow[/ame]

7. I live in pittsburgh, and we were without power and for 36 hours this weekend. when we were finally able to go shovel the 27 inches of snow, I spoke with this guy who bought a $900 snowblower a week ago, was charging $50 per driveway. He did 10 houses on Saturday and 10 on Sunday. He paid for the snowblower in 2 days.

If you're looking for moneymakers, I'd invest in a snowblower. It won't give you a steady income, but during winter, you can make some serious cash.

And if you're feeling really inclined, you could buy a snow plow. Again, it isn't consistent income, but you can make good money during winter.