Careers In Music?

Discussion in 'The Musician in U' started by Ganjzilla, May 29, 2014.

1. #1 Ganjzilla, May 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2014
    Music is my passion. It's the only thing I can imagine myself doing as a career. After I enlist in the Marine Corps, hopefully with the Musician Enlistment Option Program (or MEOP), I want a degree.

I play the Guitar and Bass as well as the Violin. I play the Electric Bass in my schools Jazz Band. I read both Standard Notation, Tablature and text music you find on the internet. I know alot about Music Theory, and I can edit music with my laptop. My grades are about a B average.

Does anyone have any experience in Music Production, Music Performence, Music Education, or something related? How does the future outlook of these careers look? What are some commen salaries?

P.S. I apoligize for the multiple posts. It's my phones' fault and I don't think I can delete my posts.

2. I'm not in the business but I think networking and a little luck (on top of talent) is extremely important in the music business .  Luck and good a contact could be the difference between the coffee and donut boy or being able to actually get hands on experience in the studio.

There's really so many directions you could take music that it would be hard to say if there is a good career outlook or not.

The best thing you can do is learn as much as you can in the area of your choice.  Just keep on practicing your instruments as much as possible, record as much as possible, and try to learn about a lot of different gear.

Music school can be really expensive without a guaranteed way to pay off that money.

3. Have you ever thought about having a main career and then you could play in a band on the side/try to hit the big time.

That's what I plan on doing.

4. hey man, nice to find other aspiring musicians on here. I go to berklee in Boston, let me tell you, music school (especially one like berklee) is incredible but it definitely ain't a joke. it costs seeeeeeerious money (but you said you might have some help from the marines), and nobody holds your hand and helps you get a career or get famous. music production/engineering is definitely a good way to go if you're passionate about that, you'll find internships and work with that for sure. music education is also good, that way you can get hired at a school, freelance lessons on the side, shit you could even teach at the school you graduate from probably. Performance, maaaaan…….if you have the will to sit down and practice AT LEAST 6 hours a day, and are incredibly outgoing enough to be your own salesman, then I'd say go for it. Succeeding in performance takes pure technical skill, extreme dedication, and even then you need to be lucky enough to get to know the right people. The music business in general is all about who you know.
    Good luck with any decision you make, and feel free to PM me if you have any questions at all. 

5. If all goes well with the Corps, money shouldn't be a problem. I'm looking for schools in Colorado, and I'd be especially interested in teaching music.

For no reason at all, this something i carved into Delilah (my accoustic)
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1401320023.961789.jpg

Colorado eh?  If you have a couple extra thousand you can snatch up some cheap land in Southern Colorado.

Awesome design on the guitar man.