Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Career suicide if I get caught

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by trenchmark, Jan 25, 2015.

1. I will be done with college soon and am determined to have a good career.  As long as I don't get caught, I'll be just fine.

But what if I do get busted? I'm not sure how that would happen, but it could.  In my state (MN), I believe possession would be a petty misdemeanor (unless I had a bunch of it, which I wouldn't). Would it be career suicide if I got caught?

But I figure that so many people smoke, and they can't all be working at fast food joints.  I'm sure there's plenty of people here who have professional careers. 

Should I be worried about it?

2. What job are you trying to land?

3. What career you're choosing makes a big difference. If your chosen career requires some kind of ttate or federal certifcation or state and federal criminal background check,  there's a good chance that it will preclude you from the hiring process. Past that, it's anyboy's guess. Some companies won't care, other companies have policies strictly against it. Others deal with it on a case by case basis.

As my avatar shows, I live in OR. Even before we voted to legalize it (starting in July!) it had been decriminalized years ago by our state attorney general. I've had a lot of jobs in various fields here and never have been drug tested. I've never heard of anyone not getting a job due to marijuana use unless they showed up at the interview high and never heard of someone getting fired for it unless they showed up to work high. It's never been illegal to be high in public unless you're acting like a jackass.

You'd have to talk with people in your field in your state about it to know for sure.

4. #4 Messiah Decoy, Jan 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2015
    You might find a boss who also smokes up.

Then you're golden.

I'm not sure what your odds are of finding one though. Sometimes it seems like most people are cool with weed.

5. Move to Canada, drug tests for jobs are almost unheard of for most professions.  

6. how would it be suicide if you don't get caught on purpose?

7. Still don't know what field your even talking about. Makes a huge difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

8. I don't know the exact field.  But most likely it will be a professional setting, where I would be start as a low-level manager. 

9. Yeah I don't think I'd be doing any goverment job.  And I'm not worried about getting drug tested.  I'm worried about the process of getting a job, when they do a background check and find a petty misdemeanor for marijuana possession.  I don't have that on my record because I've never been caught, but it could happen even if I'm careful.  Things happen.

10. Do you know how many managers and leads out there are current drug users, and a good number of them have felony drug convictions? They have the jobs, what the hell are you worried about? Lol. Some have serious crimes on their records and have these jobs man.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

11. Personal experience. I am in the professional field of insurance,finances, and business management.

I smoke every single day. Never let your habits interfere with you career. And youre all set. Most companies are passing off weed as okay. And most don't even drug test. Too expensive to do so.

Or I sure hope you're not showing up blasted.

No it isn't, we do it for our CDL drivers and it is somewhere in the range of 40-80 dollars for a drug and alcohol test. I do not remember because doing AP isn't fun or memorable. 

Tons of companies drug test, basically any job worth having is going to drug test you, almost any job. Some smaller companies do not test everyone, but you also cannot show up high, plus you must be trustworthy and hard-working or a company will piss test you or just fire you because they will know something is up. Also I am 27, and I have not a single charge on my record. Be smart, don't follow the dumb ones, do what you know is best. If it seems stupid upon consideration then it probably will get you arrested. Smoke at home.

13. Hmm didn't mnemonic this. TIl

14. #14 DBV, Jan 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2015
    It really does just depend man... I work for a company that could give a shit less if you smoke and we've even all smoked on company retreats... lol. But I'm not going to say my experience is going to be common. My advice is simply weigh the benefits and see if it's worth the paranoia it seems you may have during a job from smoking. Definitely be prepared for a drug test at hiring, but then be smart about your use if you decide to continue and feel out the company for their openness about it.

That is really dependent on what state you live in. I've lived in the Pacific NW most of my life and hav never done a drug test to get a job, and I've always worked professional type jobs. But even in college working shitty retail jobs there was never a drug test. When I lived in Nevada every shitty job demanded drug screening. Actual professional jobs did not.

16. #16 John1000, Jan 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2015
    if you were to get caught with weed it will not be career suicide. You will most likely get on diversion and the charge will be dropped when you complete your diversion (most the time drug classes and community service)

17. If you are not planning to be a teacher or government worked, then you'll find a job.

I recommend focusing on your career and set the blunt down for a few years. It's best to get your foot in the door first, get comfortable, understand how the company operates then decide if you should proceed. 

I make over $200k USD annually and I smoke nearly every day. Not every one who smokes marijuana is a dead beat. Although, there are people who rather risk it and lose their job or not even try to get a career to smoke cannabis. I gave up smoking cannabis for 5 years to land a six figure job. It is possible.

MistahWho?