Carbon scrubber idea

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by jchesmore722, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Do you guys think that a carbon scrubber and fan placed inside of a grow box would also help with the smell or would it not make that much of a difference unless its on the exhaust?

I would thinking that some additional stinky odors in the box would get “cleaned” while in there but I just wanted to get some feedback.

2. A typical carbon scrubber is placed on the exhaust side of an inline fan. They do make stand alone units as well, but it sounds like you already have an inline scrubber. Simply placing a carbon scrubber (designed to be attached to an exhaust fan) inside the grow room will not provide the scrubbing intended for said unit, unless it is hooked up to the fan.

I'm not saying it won't work, just not near as well as it could. Any carbon filter works better when it is placed inside the grow room obviously. Hope that helps.

3. thats what i meant
    sorry i wasnt more clear.

Iwas talking about having a carbon scrubber hooked up to the exaust fan and IN ADDITION, having another fan inside with a carbon filter attatched. Then that fan would just clean the air inside before it even goes through the scrubber in the exaust...

hope that makes more sense.

Im also plannign on having a fan on the HPS light to try to cool it down. However ive heard this can make the temperatures go up instead.

Is that true about the fan? If so how does that work?

4. #4 ricard0, Oct 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2008
    If i were you, i would try using just the one inline scrubber on your exhaust fan and see if that eliminates enough odor for you.

If not you could try circulating and scrubbing the air with yet another fan inside the room which most definitely would help.

But if just the one does the trick then you'll have a replacement for in about a year.

As for the light heating up, pushing air across it will not result in a higher temperature at the light unless you're using a heater. However, that heat goes somewhere which will raise the temp elsewhere.

Just try to direct the flow towards the exhaust which would hopefully be near the top of the space, as heat rises. I could explain how fans + light could equal higher temps, but only in a hypothetical sense and an unlikely symptom of combining the two in a typical fashion. Hope that helps.