Carbon filter question

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by igrade, May 10, 2011.

1. Hi people, I'm new on here so go easy on me :)

So . . . I'm looking into growing indoors, just 1 plant at a time, just experimenting for now.

From what I've read so far, I believe carbon filters only reduce the smell by something like 85-90%? Correct me if I'm wrong! Smell will be the biggest issue for my grow, as I'm sure it is for a lot of other people.

My question is, if I was to use 2 carbon filters, one inside my grow cabinet sucking the air through and then another outside my cabinet, which will be connected to the venting end of the first filter, getting air blown through it, will this reduce the smell significantly?

If not then which way produces the best results? Sucking air through or blowing air into and through the carbon filter?

Any help would be awesome :smoke:

2. You will not have a smell problem with 1 plant...
    The 1 filter will be fine in my option...

3. sweet . . . do you think that the 2 filter system would reduce the smell if I'm growing 4+ plants? I'm only growing 1 for now to get the hang of things before I dive in! And would it affect the ventilation process, like the fan speed etc?

4. I grow 12 plants in a 4x8 tent and use a 6" X 18" filter and have no smell problems.. Right now I'm growing White Widow...

I honestly do not see a problem using just 1 filter..
    Just make sure you keep the activated carbon changed or replace the filter on every or every other grow..

I bought a refillable filter and change the carbon every other grow, or every 4 months...

5. Nice one cheers for the advice bud

6. I run PHRESH filter, 100% no smell at all, as long as there is negative pressure in my tent.
    But again I can not give you any feedback on some unknown/home made filters.....My personal opinion on those - CRAP...

7. I was planning on buying all carbon filters rather than making them anyway, the only things i'll attempt to make is extra odour control stuff on top of that. Don't want to risk the chance of my carbon filters not working (I like to think i'm good at DIY but previous attempts have flopped drastically) LOL

8. #9 jakesterjammin, May 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2011

No I think what RO76 was saying is the ones I suggested were "homemade" and are crap... I'm not sure how he can make that judgment if he has never used them from that company...

So he is basing his statement off "HIS PERSONAL OPINION" only..

Where I'm saying they work fine off the experience of every grow room I setup thus far, so my statement is not my opinion, but off FACT from past use....

Good luck.. :smoke:

9. The reason I think that home made filters are inferior to brand is because I have seen plenty of posts in here where people having odor problems with those . But I do not have any personal experience with those.Just my opinion ,so do not relay on my words. But again Phresh filter is quality product that I can tell you from my experience .

10. Well you have to keep in mind that scrubber is refillable, so if you do not refill with the correct granular size, it will lower its effectiveness..

The state which I live does not have a dispensary, so the only way for a medical patient can get it, is to buy it from a dealer or grow it...

So I dedicate time in helping setup medical grows for the people in need.. I have setup more grow chambers than I can count, and have always used that company's scrubber..

So over the years, I really get to see what works and what don't...

I also use a 6x18 in my personal 4x8 tent and don't have a problem...
    But I did cheap out one time and bought a larger granular and I did notice a difference...

But all I was saying, works fine from my experience with that product, and that's really all I buy because of the overall cost effectiveness, being refillable..

Again, good luck... :smoke:

11. I cant really argue with you. You have actual experience with home made filters and I do not,I base All my negative view on them by reading posts of unhappy people who's home made filters did not work properly. If it works good for you and others then it is grate.
    I personally prefer not to save on security, but again if it works it works...:wave:
    P.S.But I personally will not go with home made or some Chinese made unknown filter because of the higher potential of failure...

12. Pull the air through a phresh filter. The larger the filter and the more CFMs you pull through it will determine how effective it is.