Carbon filter help!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Miracle_Grower420, Mar 7, 2018.

1. I have a carbon filter that is rated for 189 cfm and a fan that is 190 cfm. There is still a smell all over my house. If I upgrade the fan to say a 220 cfm. Will that help?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. 1520433064710.jpg
    Here is a picture of the setup. Maybe I'm doing it wrong? Exhaust is coming out of the top.

3. Is the exhaust fan dumping the air outside or back into the room?

4. All a larger fan will do is push stinky air by faster then the filter can handle. What brand of filter you running? Some of the cheaper ones are pretty shitty.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Into my bedroom. But I have a window open for fresh air.

6. Two problems. There is a vast difference in quality of odor control comparing a good brand carbon filter to a crappy one and secondly if you want to actually get rid of the stink it really helps if you pump it outside. Make a covert window vent for your exhaust fan. That will keep the entire grow area in a negative pressure keeping odors form escaping. If you also bought a quality 6" brand name carbon filter and necked it down to your 4" fan you would never smell a thing except maybe in the actual room with the tent.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. In my situation I can't have it vented out of a window. It's in the other side of the room...

8. So I'm thinking up the brand. Any recommendations? Also, what are those little circular things that can neutralize odors? I can put one on my dresser across the room?

9. phresh is a good brand. Get a piece of duct work and run it across the room to the window. Cut a 12" wide piece of plywood with a 4" hole in it the height of the window. Open the window, shut the plywood piece in it and wedge it against the plywood. Hook the duct to the hole.

10. Stealth is of the essence. I have the tent in a closet can't let maintanince see.

11. Is venting into the attic an option? If not a high quality 6" filter may get you by. 6" models hold much more carbon and last longer.

12. You know what...there is a space above the tent. I can see if the smell will be contained to just my unit. I live in an apartment complex. Very illegal to grow in my state.

13. Guys...killset gave the answer!!! your carbon filter is NOT rated for your fan. Look at the math again! Your fan is pulling air through a (cheap) filter faster than your filter can scrub the air. Its that simple. You can either dial down the rpm of the fan with a speed controller or get a better filter with a higher cfm rating..

• Like Like x 1
  14. finally I would refine the set up and have the fan out of the tent and setting on top of the tent with the carbon filter underneath it and "hanging" inside the tent. This will free up some space for your plants.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Think it is bad now wait till you harvest stinks up my whole house for couple days

16. Phresh brand filter. I don't even look around, phresh works no need to mess with what works. Always buy a filter with a slightly higher cfm rating then the fan. It wouldn't hurt to oversize the fam and filter and add a speed controller..a larger fan and filter set up with a speed controller gives you more flexibility when it comes to heat, humidity and smell control. Also a larger fan slowed down is generally quiter then a small fan ran at full blast. My neighbor is a cop and stops by for a beer sometimes. He unknowingly gives his approval of phresh brand filters.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. LMAO

• Like Like x 2