Car crash. advice?

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by DoctorReefer, Sep 25, 2013.

1. #1 DoctorReefer, Sep 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2013
    So I was on my way home from college and I was almost home and I got distracted for a second. It was weird cause I normally don't get distracted like that when driving but I just randomly looked over for a sec at this sale and like zoned out for half a second or so and when I realized o shit and looked in front of me i didn't have time to stop in time and cars on the street from the sale blocked me from going to my right to avoid a car that was turning onto a side street. I gonna have to pay for his bumper and my car isn't worth fixing but on top of that the officer gave me a ticket for following too closely. I really don't want points on my license does anyone have any advice for getting it reduced to possibly a non-moving violation. 

2. approach the police officer on the morning of your court date with an envelope full of cash.

works great every time.

3. No, because you can't get in a wreck without moving. lol. But why do you have to pay for the bumper? don't you at least have liability insurance? And it's only 1 or 2 points... don't worry about it.

4. you're going to have to pay the guy in cash and hopefully he doesn't take it to insurance (given he hasn't yet)

i've been rear ended twice but it was easy shit to fix and they usually plead to just pay in cash and not get insurance involved

5. I rear ended some guys charger one snow day on a bridge. His car took no damage at all and he was super cool about it... :laughing:

6. I don't know if following closely will even get you points, that's lower than careless driving which is 2pts in my state

7. Your insurance more than likely won't go up for a one time thing like that. I've never caused a wreck so idk... but I've got a ton of tickets, and it never went up until a DUI.

8. lol the cop always has to write a ticket in accidents lol

but yea go to court and i am sure the da will offer you some type of deffered plan so the court gets its money and you dont get the mark on your record
    everyone wins

if you dont like what the offer is, buy your self some time by asking for a reset to get advice from a lawyer

9. By pay for i meant my insurance is paying but they are prbly gonna jack my rates up. its 5 points if i don't get it reduced.

10. everything you said is extremely wrong.

1.) Cops do not have to write tickets in an accident, that's why its called an accident. They're required to write a report for insurance purposes, but only issue tickets if there was a violation.

2.) The DA wouldn't be at his court hearing seeing as how DA doesn't handle tort cases.

3.) Why would he even take this to court? How could u possibly argue you weren't following too close if you rear ended them on a straight away.

im talking about the criminal charge the op got for following to closly. not the bumber, which is a civil matter

12. Except that's not criminal, its a moving violation, aka civil.

If it was criminal he'd have gotten arrested

13. Criminal means jail trouble. Civil means money

You can have both types of.cases against you

14. Sure u CAN, but not in this case

15. i have actually been through this before when I hit a bus. man that sounds bad lol. but yeah the DA isn't going to be there but if I go and plead not guilty, and I ask o speak to the da, they will set up my next court day on a day when he is going to be there. BTW last time it was failure to yield and when I went to the da I didn't really even have to say anything, he knew what was going on and he just offered me a new ticket for opening my door unsafely into traffic. I'm hoping that hapens again this time but it was only like a year ago that i had my last acciden so im not sure they will be so leniant.