Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

car cigarette lighter vap

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by watermelon, Dec 29, 2005.

1. for a while now i have wanted a vape, but i simply cannot justify spending over £100 on one. especially when i could just spend that money on more weed :)

anyway ive decided i want to make the best possible vape i can on the cheap.

my idea was to make the heating element from a car cigartte lighter.
    when you normally use the lighter, you pull the hot element out of the contacts on a handle. to make the element you simply cut the handle off the element, flip it round and push into the contacts facing the other way. now the element is permenantly in the contacts and facing up out of the housing.

then all you need to do is put a gause over the element and build a housing to collect the vapours. if the element was too hot, a heat sink, or a a drop in the voltage passed through the element could reduce the heat.

it all sounds good in theory, but unfortunatly i burnt my element out when using too higer a voltage. so i have to wait to go into town and buy a new one.

there are two problems that i can foresee:
    1. the element will burn out quickly when under sustained heat. normally the element is only red hot for a short period of time, im not sure if the materials will survive constant use that is neccessary for vapourisation.

2. too much heat. the lighter although not in direct contact with the weed (there is a gause over the top) might be too hot. this can however be remedied.

im not sure if this is going to work, but if anyone can lend any opinions, advice or ideas that would be marvelous.

2. interesting idea. i know nothing about electronics but let us know how it turns out. macguyver smokers bring progress to the pot smoking community :)

3. vaporizers are that expensive really because its very difficult to regulate the temperature on homemade vaporizers as compared to devices w/ digital temp control or with a dial, I think you will have great difficulty regulating the temperature to the specifity of a vaporizer while capturing the real function of the vaporizer. A vaporizer is not intended to burn the plant matter, only vaporize the THC, if you cannot control the temp very well each time, it will burn and there will have been not much of a point in your efforts. Also, please clarify, in the lighter there is the small round plastic handle and then a metal piece that heats up, becoming very hot, why would you flip around the metal piece? The wire gauze over the metal piece does make perfect sense to me however, and if you could control the temp well enough you definetly have an idea there. I do have to say however that I got a vaporizer about a week ago (the vapir air 1) for 130 (usd) and at the rate I'm going, due to the greatly increased efficiency, it will have paid for itself in conserved weed in 2 more weeks.

4. get a glass on glass, now those are nice. :D

5. i cut off and fliped the element so that it could stay in the contacts and remain permenatly hot while the unit its switched on.
    also with a little cutting, with the element up the other way the whole lighter essembly creates its own nice little socket around the element.

keeping the temp consistant will be the limiting factor of this vape design, but i wont know how much of a factor this is until i build and test one.

i also thought about making a vape from the elements in toasters, but this isnt such a clean method, and theres quite alot of heat up time before it reaches optimum temp. so i decided against it.

6. good luck man, tell me how it works out.