Car Audio

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by umadson, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Wasn't sure where exactly to post this as it doesn't have a direct correlation to music and I'm in a hurry. Please feel free to move to the correct forum.

I have a 2002 Ford Taurus SE (Red, this detail is very important) and I put a new deck on my stock speakers. I have a 600 watt amp I want to add, but only if there will be a significant quality increase. Would it even be worth putting the amp on my stocks, or would I have to also get better speakers?

I'll provide more information if needed.

2. Hifonics amps are pretty decent cheap ones, you could hook that up to your speakers. Your truck MAY have decent enough speakers to hook up that amp to, but I couldn't tell you.

But word of advice for car audio, spend the money the first time, get good equipment.

3. Ah, I didn't even notice this forum earlier. Thanks for the move.

4. What kind of amp is it and what are the factory speakers model #s? I've never listed to music in a 2002 Ford Taurus so I don't know if it'd be worth it.

Chances are, no. Replace the speakers is usually the first step for me whenever I buy a car. Even before a head unit. I'd rather have good speakers and a cassette/AM&PM HU than tin cans with a CD player.

5. My amp is a 600 watt Jensen, it's old as shit. Not sure about the speaker model, I'll look into it.

6. I assume it's a mono amp then? Wattage doesn't mean anything. If it's a mono amp it's made to run one speaker/sub. If it's not 4 channel then I wouldn't bother.

7. An 02 taurus is going to have decent speakers. Might as well replace them though. You can go on Ebay and get a whole set of RE speakers for 100 bucks. Jensen is ok, it's what I call a walmart brand. But hey, I've seen some low end shit hit pretty good.

Me I have a brand new Kicker Solobaric L7 with a kicker 600.1, it will make your ears bleed. Only put it on when I'm in the mood for it.

8. I stand by Kicker. You can't beat price:performance. I've replaced the cheap-o speakers in my Silverado with low end Kickers and it's amazing for a ~$100 speaker upgrade (for all four).

Had enough bass to hold me over until I put in my subs.

9. No matter what/how good, speakers on a car that old have seen a lot of use & a lot of direct sunlight (in the back).

New ones would definitely be a step up...plus you'd be getting better-quality materials that they use to make even the "most affordable" speakers now.

One place to do some online comparison-shopping is Crutchfield (www.crutchfield.com)...go into their car stereo area & have some fun looking at what fits!

10. man stock speakers in fords with never be able to handle 600 watts and how many channels does the amp have in the first place because im 98% sure that it cant go lower then 4 ohms. and the re's are a better choice. the kickers have gone to the shitter just like jl. they both sold out and went mass produced=decreased quality=junk. not to mention the re's will be the same if not cheaper and sound better!

11. if your amp is a 4 channel then yeah, you can hook it up to speakers, although i would advise getting some new ones. Good aftermarket speakers are worth the money if u buy them online(cheaper)

If you don't want to buy new speakers just run your stocks off the new unit. you'll still probably see a big quality difference just from the HU.

try checking sites like ebay, newegg, sonicelectronix, and crutchfield for good deals.

12. not to mention that the speakers wont be able to handle the amount of current thrown at them. stock speakers max out most of the time around 60 to 80 watts. even if the amp is a 4 channel your putting 150 watts to them. they would cook within a few weeks if you dont get carried away

13. Yup we just recently cooked my friends. :rolleyes:
    It's all good, his play better than ever now.