Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

cannabutter over cooked or tolerance to edibles?

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by gawnja, Jan 27, 2013.

1. #1 gawnja, Jan 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2013
    I tried making a batch of cannabutter using sugar leaves and fine trim. I used the mason jar in slow cooker method and had everything ready to go. I set the slow cooker to high to get it going then was gunna drop it to low or Med for overnight. I ended up high and passed out. Woke up a few hours later and the jars had tipped and the butter had leaked out into the water in the slow cooker. If I recall it was also boiling or simmering. I poured the mixture into jars and siphoned out the water and chilled it back to butter. I've tried about a tbsp on toast and didn't feel effects. Tried this twice and then left the butter in the fridge. Is it over cooked and the thc evaporated? Or do I need to try more?

Edit: PS Iv tried edibles a couple of times and never had good results in the past. Just firecrackers and stuff

2. Did you decarb? A tip for the future, place a folded cloth between the bottom of you jar and the crockpot. That will keep the bubbles from forming under the jars and knocking them over.:)

3. I totally did this! I'm not sure but I think it boiled pretty decent. Anyway the cloths were stained green.

Maybe it didn't decarb? But I think it boiled or simmered for 6 to 8 hours. Its been a few months now since I made it. Thought about throwing it out. Should I try a baking recipe that bakes super low at the decarb temp range?( forgive me I'm on my phone and can't look it up mid-post) any tips? I think I did 4 or 5 sticks of butter and a good amount of high grade trim that I had in the fridge for a week. Never weighed it but probably 2 ozs.

4. You need to decarb separately in the oven for 25-30 minutes. Trying to decarb with the heat in the butter can be done but takes a very long time. You should decarb first and then add that to butter and do your thing. Unless you're using imported weed. That is usually fully dried by the time it gets here and naturally decarbed, but any fresher should be decarbed. :)

5. Thanks man. Hope I don't fuck it up.

6. You should be able to salvage it. Just because it mixed with water doesn't mean it's a lost cause, just a little more work to recover it. You just put the water/butter mix in as narrow of a container as possible and place it in the refrigerator to set up. The butter will all rise and congeal and the top. You should still be able to get a buzz from it but it will be a little different than if decarbed, more cerebral and energetic instead of laid back on the couch. The next time, be sure to have your jars secure in the crockpot before you pass out. You can buy jar holders that will keep them upright at anyplace that sells canning supplies and they're inexpensive. Good luck with your endeavor and let us know how it wound up. :)

7. Yeah I actually drained the water by siphoning it out from under the still warm and melted butter. Then I fridged it and drained one more time. So should I stick a batch in the oven at like 250 and let the butter melt for a bit? Or do I need to cook the butter into something at the decarb range? It sure tastes like bud and is green colored just no effects.

8. You may have already gotten it. However, at this point there's nothing more to do to get it further decarbed. It may surprise you. Go ahead and start using it. If it turns out to not be so great, you can save the butter and use it on the next batch to help improve that one. You won't know until you try it so go ahead and bake something with it and see how it works. Then let us know. A lot of people have the same kind of accidents and could use some confidence that all is not lost when sh*t happens. :)