Cannabis use in early adolescence linked with Psychosis risk

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by Ninja20p, Jul 15, 2010.

1. PSYCHOSIS VIDEO: Cannabis Linked With Psychosis in Adolescence

It ups the risk.. maybe. I hope that study about cannabinoids being good for babies is proven true. Then we can throw this out.

It sounds like the cannabis is showing them something.. Maybe they were already at risk for Psychosis in the first place?

2. You are correct
    This only raises the chances of developing schizophrenia in adolescence that are ALREADY AT RISK.

3. The Cannabis doesn't lie haha :) glad I know better.

Did they say already at risk? Musta missed that part, but I find it funny I came to that conclusion before I posted the topic ahaah.

4. Oh cool, a new thread that totally hasn't been posted twice a week for the last three years.

5. well even if true, this strengthens our position on legalization. If adolescences are at risk then why not legalize it so the kids cant get it off the streets? we all know that it is much much easier to get pot as a kid then it is alcohol because you need ID to alcohol. Im 19, cant buy alcohol, have to get someone witha fake or an older dude to do it and its a pain in the ass sometimes, but with pot, i call up my dealer who is also under 21 and i can get it five minutes later. Just saying they say using marijuana as a young kid increases your risk of psychosis then why dont they legalize and get it out of the hands of the kids. Yes I understand kids will still use underage, but it will be a hell of a lot harder for them to get it

6. Fox argues that its easier for kids to get it if legal. Its asinine.

7. It doesn't say anything about other drug use though. It would be better to see the study from University of Queensland.

8. i was getting pot when i was 14 "Dealers dont check id"
    its so true i dont understand why anyone would be against this other than money

9. Precisely!

I mean, the family wants to protect their children from drug dealers and pot? Then why not make them require an ID to fucking purchase it from now on? Problem fucking solved america. I mean really, wake up.

10. Saying adolescence use will decrease is great in theory, but, in my opinion, it wouldn't quite play out that way. Sure, dealers won't be needed by people who are legal, or over 21, but they would still be around. Dealers would then be forced to focus their sales on the youth of America. If all of their customers can get cheap bud from around the corner, but there is a large number of kids, 14-20 years old, who can't, they will still seek dealers to get it.

You also have to understand that legalizing will make Bud not only more abundant, but much less costworthy. It will be everywhere and a lot easier for kids to get. Cannabis isn't like alcohol because, with its ease of growing, people aren't going to up and stop growing it if it's legalized.

Now I am in no way against legalization. I am all for it. Cannabis is a great gift and the government doesn't have the authority to tell the people what they can and cannot consume. The government, in general, is a propaganda producing machine that tells lies to achieve what it wants. Adults can make these decisions for themselves, but those who are Pro-Legalization shouldn't try to push the possibility of unlikely things.

11. Ahh. Good point :) but let me take a crack at it.

Sure once its legal, kids will HAVE to go to a dealer, and if the dealer still wants to break the law, bam kids get weed. But right now, they can still get weed, and people who use it responsibly go to jail, and I think thats unfair. Legalizing it would eliminate a lot of problems, and pump money back into our economy. But as it seems by your point, I guess we will never ever sway kids from using drugs if they want to use them. That just can't be helped.

12. i agree and disagree, i never thought of it that way that dealors will target kids. that is a good valid point, but i really dont see dealors remaining around after legalization, why would people go to a dealor when they can just go dow the street to a local dispensairy and probably get better stuff just as cheap or cheaper, and be able to know exactly what strain there getting and everything. I just dont get why anyone would still go to a dealor when they can go to a pot store. So i feel that majority of the dealers will diminish and actually have to get a job haha, jkl. I totaly disagree that kids will be able to get it easier,

now if we treat it like alcohol and maybe let our kids take a couple puffs out of a joint when there like 18, just like some rents do with beer(let there kids have a beer or two), then i think thats totally acceptable because lets face it majority of kids try pot at least once in their teens, i know here in central PA majority of the people i know have tried and or smoke regularly, just my opinion though

13. haha :wave: did you read my post? Dealers will only be dealing to kids after legalization. Like how you get a dealer to buy alcohol for your party when your not yet 21, exactly like that. Most smokers, being over 18, are likely to go buy from the store from then on. So if dealers want money, it has to be kids. But its not like they are gonna be going down the street and shit, more like the dealers are gonna be your own friends or family members who are old enough to buy.

Haha, my dad offered me a sip of beer when I was around 8-10 I remember. I turned it down, it smelled strange (wasn't used to the smell y'know). But once my kid would come to the age where he can reason, I will sit him down and talk to him about it, it's his choice, and I will respect his decision.

14. #14 Klao, Jul 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2010
    This is a relatively old claim, and more recent information from studies with stricter controls almost universally debunks the touted "link" between schizophrenia onset and marijuana use. It's really turning out to be yet another in a long line of myths about cannabis.

Here's some more recent information, readily available on NORML's news ticker (all sources properly cited, with the original articles duly linked:

Review: Supposed Marijuana And Schizophrenia Link "Overstated" - NORML

Age Of Onset Of Schizophrenia Not Associated With Marijuana Use, Study Says - NORML

And, there's even some recent evidence that suggests that cannabis could actually be therapeutic for certain forms of schizophrenia:

Patients With Schizophrenia Report Subjective Benefits From Marijuana, Study Says - NORML

Marijuana Use Associated With Higher Functioning In Schizophrenics, Study Says - NORML

Any time ANY government-approved association tries to sell a list of consequences for marijuana, a healthy first reaction is skepticism. Not outright disbelief, necessarily -- always be open to compelling evidence, or you can't properly call yourself open-minded. No drug is absolutely consequence-free, to be sure ..... but when you're dealing with something that is as widely known to be as benign as cannabis, with literally thousands of years of human experience, and you come across a "you've never heard of it" consequence to marijuana that sounds particularly bad .... there's a good bet that there's some politically backed money in the pool, desperately trying to exaggerate whatever evidence they can about the evil that we're being protected from.

15. I was skeptical, thats why I posted it here.

16. Well, I wasn't really addressing you specifically when I used the word "you" in my post .... it was more a contribution to the overall discussion, aimed at all readers. :)

I'm sorry if it came off that way ..... and, yes, I can tell you were skeptical. I just wanted to make sure more information was available in the same thread.

17. I agree. I was just making the point that dealers won't just disappear magically after legalization.

You must not have read what I said.

Exactly, even though Cannabis, if legalized, will be just like alcohol and only available to people 21+.

Edit- Btw, +REP Ninja for the good topic/discussion.

18. The only way psychosis or schizophrenia could be linked to cannabis is if the condition had been laying doormat. You can't just suddenly become psychotic in a second, it takes time for it to devolop. You can have a psychosis episode from having a really bad trip but that is rare. I know this because my psychosis layed doormat until I tryed marijuana. But that isn't a bad thing. Now I know. I don't blame it on ganj.