Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Cannabis is not a drug

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by corydub, Feb 6, 2011.

1. It doesnt bother me when people call it a drug because i just bring up how caffine, motrin, and alcohol are all drugs and how they are all legal and are way worse for you

2. We never landed on the moon either.

3. Imagine what would happen if we all went by our own definition of things, as opposed to their ACTUAL definition.

"Hey, Bob, nice car you've go there."
    "Oh no, Tom, that's not my car. That's my lamp shade."

I could only imagine how confusing this world would be. No one would be able to communicate. Do yourself a favor, and don't pretend cannabis isn't a drug. It's not flattering at all to be so ignorant. I'm not trying to disrespect you in any way, but just think about what you're saying for a moment.

That's why I always refer to cannabis as "relatively benign" in comparison to most drugs. There are risks, but the risks are fairly minimal.

Anyway, cannabis is most definitely a drug. The funny thing is, many people who are against it say they don't like the term because the DEA and the government make drugs all sound evil. Yet, all they are doing is perpetuating that very same idea by attempting to separate cannabis from that classification, because they are afraid that cannabis will somehow be evil by association. Instead of running from the truth, embrace the fact that it is a drug and prove that not all drugs are bad.

Also, it's important to remember that, if you are a person who strives and fights for legalization, people will have a hard time taking you seriously if you claim it's not a drug. If you want to sway someone to support legalization, they will shutdown the moment you say it's not a drug. I've seen it a thousand times.

4. #65 GutteralShiva, Feb 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2011

Meh unlike weed being a drug, that's actually plausible :p

5. #66 King Willie, Feb 6, 2011
    Hahaha, "I go by my own definition"......:rolleyes:

6. Cannabis, when smoked is a drug. And all drugs come from plants, even the synthetic drugs are some where down the line derived from plants and other natural resources.

7. No.

Drug: A drug, broadly speaking, is any substance that, when absorbed into the body of a living organism, alters normal bodily function. There is no single, precise definition, as there are different meanings in drug control law, government regulations, medicine, and colloquial usage.

It's a plant. But what gets you high, THC/other cannaboids, ARE/is a drug. Get over it.

8. Weed is a drug, alcohol is a drug, chocolate is a drug, cough medicine is a drug... Life is full of them some legal some not, each has its positives and negatives, just like almost every other ingestible substance on earth.

9. #70 IfutureI, Feb 6, 2011
    Well its official, General consensus consider weed a drug understandable.
    I see many do not also see my point.
    I'll just take the fail ......

10. As you should.
    I'm going to eat my blanket now. (And just so you know, by my definition, blanket actually means lunch)

11. It's a fucking drug. Get over it. Just because it is a drug does not mean it has beneficial values but doesnt change the fact it is a mind altering stubstance.

12. All cannabis isn't psychoactive, therefore not all of it is/are "drugs"

It is certainly desirable to grow it in conditions to promote the presence of drugs that cannabis has adapted to produce. Thats why we smoke bud.

Mushrooms aren't a drug, but there are several (hundred) species that you would be foolish to not count as a "drug."

But in all reality, its merely molecules that are drugs. It just so happens that many plants contain these psychoactive alkaloids.
    What do we do? Fuck it, more molecules for me, thank you

13. #74 IfutureI, Feb 6, 2011
    I'm interested in other peoples definition of a drug. As you have all shown there is many.

I must be seeing something else :hippie:

14. I honestly don't consider it a drug either. There are many different definitions of the word "drug", there isn't some organization that defines all words of the english language (unlike the spanish language, who has "La Real Academia Espanola"). The difference I see is that while some drugs come from the derivatives of plants, they must still undergo some sort of process before consumption. Whereas in marijuana you can cut the bud and thats it. No pill, no dust, no liquid, no crap.

I guess what I and the OP are really saying is that WE consider a drug to be synthetic, therefore we do not consider marijuana a drug. While others may disagree as to what the word "drug" means, until we can establish a single unifying organization that dictates word's definitions, variations of definitions will happen and this is one example.

15. so what if you had bud with ZERO thc at all hypothetacally? Could you still be arrested?
    I think so

16. Apparently someone has never heard of a dictionary. ;)

17. A drug is anything that changes the state of mind.
    Opium is a plant, heroin is a drug
    Coca is aplant, cocaine is a drug
    Cannabis is a plant, THC and Cannabidiols are the drug-aspects of the plant

18. its a drug