Cannabis for Creativity

Discussion in 'The Artist's Corner' started by JerrysKidd, Jul 10, 2018.

1. #1 JerrysKidd, Jul 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    Screenshot_20180709-175954.jpg Often I use small amounts of herb while writing. I feel that it helps me connect different pathways in my brain and causes my thought pattern to flow much easier, which is very helpful for writers block.
    Though I do find alot of my best creating be it in writing or painting is done sober.

So what are the reasons you enjoy cannabis for increasing creativity?
    Do you prefer not to get lifted while creating, if so why is that?
    Do you just catch a buzz or smoke down?

Tell me all about your art and its relationship with cannabis!

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. I prefer to smoke a little with certain things. I'm currently making a per-zine and I started it while high and now I find I can only work on it while high. :geek:

If I'm doing work for an actual client, I get a bit paranoid and tend to not smoke...I have a shit memory as is, so I need what little resources I have if I want to keep them happy and get paid. ;)

Overall I don't smoke like I did when I was younger. I like to be alone, when the family has gone to bed and just get lost in my own thoughts and create something that someone (somewhere) will understand where I was at mentally at that moment in time.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. I love that response. I definitely never mix herb and working, but I am also a machine operator and the EMR for the plant I work at.

4. I enjoy a touch of cannabis for musical creativity.
    Just enough to stimulate ideas. An energizing sativa helps.
    Not too much or things won’t get recorded accurately.

• Like Like x 2
  5. That's how it is with my writing and painting. Too much and I can't focus enough without getting distracted, or I just blank out. Though, just a puff or two and I feel more free to rhyme words I wouldn't usually think of.

Trying to live a life worth living.
    My eudaimonia.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Great topic! tl;dr I'm a lifelong creator, work/have worked in a lot of different disciplines, and I find it fascinating how cannabis opens some doors for me, but shuts others. Or to put it another way...

Pot is great for drumming. When I'm stoned I'm much more in tune with the speed of time, but too much indica can sedate my response time somewhat. And honestly, I can think more complex polyrhythms when I'm stoned, but I'm better at actually remembering them enough to incorporate them in ways that make sense when I'm not stoned, or at least, not blasted.

I perform better on stage when I'm not high. Period. I don't connect with audiences as well when I'm stoned. Dancing high was hit and miss. When I was on, it was awesome and when I was off, I'd miss steps, show up late to spots, forget figures.

Writing is good while high, except I have a tendency to overexpound, get lost in run-on sentences, make up my -- own // punc\\tu''//a'tion, and with roynish ocipitation and onciferous prattledumpsey I brandish a prose both gloriously, vehemently violet and purple peopled with words from beyond reality! Or to put it another way, writing while high is great, but often requires rewrites when not high, or at least less high. haha

Gagwriting while high seems like it would be great, but the real truth is gagwriting while high doesn't work very well because crafting the gag... the words used, timing, descriptions, slant, copyright concerns, etc make it 90% a grind. As Sir Terry Pratchett once said, "Comedy is no laughing matter." LOL

Playing music while high is like riding moonbeams into the land of the gods. Getting high and playing is like the cream and sugar in a cup of coffee: could do without it, but it's so much better with it! One of the hardest aspects of practicing your art, no matter what it is, is to remain fresh and approach it as if for the first time, even though you have been practicing it for decades. Getting high and playing always opens a window into unexplored country for me.

I derive the greatest pleasure and satisfaction from painting stoned. With the addition of music to help it along, I can almost completely shut down the linear voice that is an obstacle to thinking visually -- and with the optic region of the brain given free range, I can attain the same sense of oneness that I otherwise usually only ever feel while playing music.

Juggling high is fine fun as long as I'm juggling something soft and and not sharp, like declawed kittens.
    Just kidding. I would never declaw a kitten. :D

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. You sound too good to be real. ;)

8. Why? It's not difficult to learn new disciplines, and as I said, I am a life long creator. I started playing drums when I was eight, picked up autoharp at ten, banjo at 14 guitar at 16 and then mandolin, fiddle, concertina, pennywhistle, field drum and pipe and tabor at 20-23 because I had to learn period instruments, and dancing was something that all men in the dance troupe ended up doing because it was couples dancing and there were never enough guys. In between all that I took up gag writing at the request of my mother, who was a cartoonist. I am greatly fortunate that I come from a family of musicians, artists and writers. What this meant for me growing up was that I always had a mentor on hand when I had a question about music or writing or art.

Besides, I never said I was any good at the disciplines I named! :roflmao:

9. I always smoke before writing anything. It helps me stop second guessing what I'm writing and takes my inhibitions away. It helps me be a lot more creative and just let my mind "go with it". I've written some really "sexy" (word sexy:geek:) resumes stoned asf, it's the only way. Landed the jobs too LOL. Write em for friends high too. Overall I guess it just helps me write more passionately.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. I'll send my details later for that sexy as fuck resume. Do I need to send the weed too?!

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Nope;) fr I can help though!

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. So I got high just enough the last few days to finish my zine! Now I just have to get it printed and then off to trade with other zinesters! It's mostly about interpersonal relationships & random high thoughts. :D

This is the front and back cover. :D
    [​IMG]

• Creative Creative x 3
  13. You're my hero

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. You know about zines?! ♡♡♡

15. Yes when I was younger we used to make our own skating magazines hahah just stick photos together into a magazine. Yours is just gorgeous and complex

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. I always have had the ability to create but never the drive, always the desire but then I get high and just consume others work. Whether it’s a Netflix show or something. I’m ready to create my own thing. And that starts today.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Lol niggle, is that a GC reference?

That's a really picture, no idea what a zine is but the art is cool as hell.

"I'm Livin For Givin the Devil His Due"

• Like Like x 1
  18. No, it's not in reference to GC but you claimed a few days ago, you might be my own personal niggle on here! Still waiting for you to make good on that promise.

Zines were cool in the 90s but still somewhat underground. They are like fan magazines where you'd just cut and paste shit together and then trade them with others. Most centered around punk, ska, skating, riot grrls.

This was before the internet so getting your hands on other people's zines, was a lot harder and a more bonding experience imo but it's still cool to know it hasn't died out completely.

Fun Fact: I once got grounded cause my mom found one of my zines called "The Satanic Toaster". She thought I was headed down the "wrong path".

19. "I definitely never mix herb and working, but I am also a machine operator and the EMR for the plant I work at."

and for me it's "art supplies"!

Attached Files: