Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

cannabis close to being legal

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by marisolixtepan, May 21, 2012.

1. whats up blades i have been working on a letter for my state reps to legalize marijuana for medicinal use or just full on legalization so take a look and tell me what you think...

Marijuana is classified as a schedule 1 drug which means that it has a high potential for abuse, and has no accepted medical use. This in itself is wrong and contradicts itself because marijuana is neither lethal nor addictive. Early antidrug laws where set to regulate narcotics, Marijuana is in the same category as cocaine, heroin, and other substances, marijuana is not a narcotic. Medical marijuana is legal in 16 states including Washington D.C, I'm sure you are aware of this, so just with that it shows marijuana shouldn't be a schedule 1 drug. Schedule 1-5 drugs are hard drugs including legally prescribed pills, marijuana should be legal and taxed. Marijuana was once legal before the marijuana stamp act in 1937. In the 1600's domestic production of hemp was encouraged by the government in the 17th century for the production of rope, sails, and clothing. In 1619 the Virginia Assembly passed legislation requiring every farmer to grow hemp. Hemp was allowed to be exchanged as legal tender in Pennsylvania, Virginia, and Maryland. Domestic production flourished until after the Civil War, when imports and other domestic materials replaced hemp for many purposes. In the late nineteenth century, marijuana became a popular ingredient in many medicinal products and was sold openly in public pharmacies. In 1906 the pure food and drug act was passed which stated it required labeling of any cannabis contained in over-the-counter remedies. In the 1900's Mexican immigrants introduced recreational use of marijuana leaf. After the Mexican Revolution of 1910, Mexican immigrants flooded into the U.S., introducing to American culture the recreational use of marijuana. The drug became associated with the immigrants, and the fear and prejudice about the Spanish-speaking newcomers became associated with marijuana. Anti-drug campaigners warned against the encroaching "Marijuana Menace," and terrible crimes were attributed to marijuana and the Mexicans who used it. The intense anti-marijuana movement of the 1930s dovetailed nicely with the intense anti-Chicano movement of the 1930s. Marijuana was associated with Mexican Americans, and a ban on marijuana was seen as a way of discouraging Mexican-American subcultures from developing. In the 1930's During the Great Depression, massive unemployment increased public resentment and fear of Mexican immigrants, escalating public and governmental concern about the problem of marijuana. This instigated a flurry of research which linked the use of marijuana with violence, crime and other socially deviant behaviors, primarily committed by "racially inferior" or underclass communities. By 1931, 29 states had outlawed marijuana. In 1936 a Propaganda film "Reefer Madness" was produced by the French director, Louis Gasnier. The Motion Pictures Association of America, composed of the major Hollywood studios, banned the showing of any narcotics in films. The propaganda film depicted that blacks and Mexicans who smoked marijuana where up to no good and whistled at white women, and white women who would smoke marijuana would seek sexual relations with minorities. In 1944La Guardia Report finds marijuana not dangerous New York Academy of Medicine issued an extensively researched report declaring that, contrary to earlier research and popular belief, use of marijuana did not induce violence, insanity or sex crimes, or lead to addiction or other drug use. During World War II, imports of hemp and other materials crucial for producing marine cordage, parachutes, and other military necessities became scarce. In response the U.S. Department of Agriculture launched its "Hemp for Victory" program, encouraging farmers to plant hemp by giving out seeds and granting draft deferments to those who would stay home and grow hemp. By 1943 American farmers registered in the program harvested 375,000 acres of hemp. History shows that marijuana is not dangerous just misunderstood from all the propaganda that has been set in place. Marijuana prohibition was founded on racism, and today racism is frowned upon so why support prohibition?

there is more to it this is just the first part i have stronger points to make and it will only get longer feel free to copy and send to your own reps if you wish and i would like all and any pointers. "i may be an imperfect messenger but my message is perfect" ron paul 2012

2. TLDR.. but really. PARAGRAPHS MY MAN!

People have been saying this for far too long and to be honest, things are currently going the wrong direction.

3. Yeah, OP, I will read this if you will make a good effort to indent the right spots.

4. my eyes... they bleed....

tldr: how blazed are you?

5. If you know what I'm talking about, crazy things are unfolding right now and everyone that thinks so should PM me.

Perfect clarity, foresight, and lexical perfection

P.S. Note the time.

6. Marijuana is classified as a schedule 1 drug which means that it has a high potential for abuse, and has no accepted medical use.

This in itself is wrong and contradicts itself because marijuana is neither lethal nor addictive.

Early antidrug laws where set to regulate narcotics, Marijuana is in the same category as cocaine, heroin, and other substances, marijuana is not a narcotic.

Medical marijuana is legal in 16 states including Washington D.C, I'm sure you are aware of this, so just with that it shows marijuana shouldn't be a schedule 1 drug.

Schedule 1-5 drugs are hard drugs including legally prescribed pills, marijuana should be legal and taxed.

Marijuana was once legal before the marijuana stamp act in 1937. In the 1600's domestic production of hemp was encouraged by the government in the 17th century for the production of rope, sails, and clothing.

In 1619 the Virginia Assembly passed legislation requiring every farmer to grow hemp. Hemp was allowed to be exchanged as legal tender in Pennsylvania, Virginia, and Maryland.

Domestic production flourished until after the Civil War, when imports and other domestic materials replaced hemp for many purposes.

In the late nineteenth century, marijuana became a popular ingredient in many medicinal products and was sold openly in public pharmacies.

In 1906 the pure food and drug act was passed which stated it required labeling of any cannabis contained in over-the-counter remedies.

In the 1900's Mexican immigrants introduced recreational use of marijuana leaf. After the Mexican Revolution of 1910, Mexican immigrants flooded into the U.S., introducing to American culture the recreational use of marijuana.

The drug became associated with the immigrants, and the fear and prejudice about the Spanish-speaking newcomers became associated with marijuana.

Anti-drug campaigners warned against the encroaching "Marijuana Menace," and terrible crimes were attributed to marijuana and the Mexicans who used it.

The intense anti-marijuana movement of the 1930s dovetailed nicely with the intense anti-Chicano movement of the 1930s.

Marijuana was associated with Mexican Americans, and a ban on marijuana was seen as a way of discouraging Mexican-American subcultures from developing.

In the 1930's During the Great Depression, massive unemployment increased public resentment and fear of Mexican immigrants, escalating public and governmental concern about the problem of marijuana.

This instigated a flurry of research which linked the use of marijuana with violence, crime and other socially deviant behaviors, primarily committed by "racially inferior" or underclass communities.

By 1931, 29 states had outlawed marijuana. In 1936 a Propaganda film "Reefer Madness" was produced by the French director, Louis Gasnier. The Motion Pictures Association of America, composed of the major Hollywood studios, banned the showing of any narcotics in films.

The propaganda film depicted that blacks and Mexicans who smoked marijuana where up to no good and whistled at white women, and white women who would smoke marijuana would seek sexual relations with minorities.

In 1944La Guardia Report finds marijuana not dangerous New York Academy of Medicine issued an extensively researched report declaring that, contrary to earlier research and popular belief, use of marijuana did not induce violence, insanity or sex crimes, or lead to addiction or other drug use.

During World War II, imports of hemp and other materials crucial for producing marine cordage, parachutes, and other military necessities became scarce.

In response the U.S. Department of Agriculture launched its "Hemp for Victory" program, encouraging farmers to plant hemp by giving out seeds and granting draft deferments to those who would stay home and grow hemp.

By 1943 American farmers registered in the program harvested 375,000 acres of hemp. History shows that marijuana is not dangerous just misunderstood from all the propaganda that has been set in place.

Marijuana prohibition was founded on racism, and today racism is frowned upon so why support prohibition?

there you go for all the 1/20 vision smokers out there. and i am pretty high, i just had sex and it felt so good.

7. It wasnt that hard ya lazy schmucks. LOL

Good info though. No president 2012

8. I love history and English so I'm enjoying this post. (I'm an ed major) However, before you decide to send this, check it for small errors such as conjunctions, separate those into two words. Also, punctuation. I'm not being anal, I just feel as though being that it is about mari j they may point out any imperfection. I wish you great luck with this!! Its awesome that you are actually taking the initiative to write your reps. cool beans....

9. "Early antidrug laws where set to regulate narcotics, Marijuana is in the same category as cocaine, heroin, and other substances, marijuana is not a narcotic."

For example:

Early anti-drug laws were set to regulate narcotics. Marijuana is in the same category as cocaine, heroin, and other substances. Marijuana is not a narcotic.

10. All they will read is:
    Marijuana ---------------

And instantly throw the letter out. Our letters have no impact

11. it will never be legal, trust me on that.

12. Itll be legal once all the old fucks in office die out.

13. Cocaine is schedule 2, I believe.

14. 17 medical states now, connecticut just passed a medical marijuana law

15. Looks like someone watched "The Union", and learned something.

16. Nice paper w some convincing points. I would like to c it legalized, but it wont bc special interest groups and election donars i.e. drug companies, oil execs and etc would lose alot of money, and that is the main reason it will never b legal...sucks, I know.

17. Great letter man, needs work; but on the other hand, you probably should wait til even later in the document to say "marijuana". Grab their attention before then because, like stated earlier, they'll toss it If the first thing they see is "marijuana"... Nice research though:0

18. That was not paragraphs haha that was single sentences separated by huge spaces.

19. #20 jahithber69, May 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2012
    I think the main reason cannabis is staying illegal is because nobody can patent it cause it's naturally occurring so they can't regulate it.

Another way they should look at it is like this

All drugs should be considered for abuse.

Now every drug is being considered for abuse now And when abused they have serious effects like physical effects/cancers/addiction/psychological effects And the list goes on...

and they wouldn't need to do tests there are thousand of examples of abuse everywhere.

Now I bet cannabis would be so low on the list of drugs that they would see the picture.

A weird example is look at a person,

Give them a health bar with 1000hp

Then classify every potential effect from abuse and give it a number based on how serious it effects you.

Then apply those effects to your health bar for example alchohol would have a bunch but to name one would be potential liver cancer and for example it would be like 500hp cause it's cancer and deadly.

So in the end most drugs would end up killing you. But I wonder if someone took the time to compile all that data you would see how cannabis should not be a schedule 1 drug.